Need co-location advice. Verio sucks.

[repost: If you can think of a more appropriate newsgroup, please let me know]

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on a good co-location provider in the San Diego area.

I've been using Verio for years. Some time ago, Verio was purchased by the Japanese company NTT. NTT fired all of the employees in the San Diego location except for one. Support is now non-existent. Downtime is common. It's reached a point where the Internet connectivity that I'm receiving on my $45/month cable modem is *better* than the connectivity I'm receiving via my $1,500/month Verio account.

Of course I'm not suggesting that I move the 14 co-located servers to my apartment and run them off my cable modem, but at the same time, with Verio's service and support at an all time low, I've got to at least look for some alternatives. Any ideas?

Here's why I cross-posted to the Cisco group. The latest outage at Verio was due to the following:

=== During this maintenance, Verio engineers must reboot to collocation routers to correct a memory allocation problem. Our engineers have inform us that if this does not occur, we will experience unplanned downtime. This maintenance will cause a short service interruption. Your services will be inaccessible for 5 to 15 minutes, while the router reloads and BGP sessions synchronize. It is Verio policy to notify our customers when performing work of this nature on infrastructure services. If you have any questions about this maintenance, please contact us using the information below and reference ticket [1-401862994]. ===

I frequently receive these types of emails from Verio with a lot of tech terms that I don't understand as they try to justify why there will be yet more downtime at the colo facility. I know they use Cisco routers just like pretty much every other colo facility. So why is it that it is only Verio that seems to be plagued by these "memory allocation" errors in their Cisco routers? I'm starting to wonder if Verio is just full of crap.

Jules

Reply to
Jules Winfield
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
rob.kirkpatrick

Thanks, Rob. I haven't heard of these guys but it looks like a promising lead!

Jules

Reply to
Jules Winfield

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.