Multiple Websites on Single 2k BOX Which router please!?

I am trying to determine what cisco router is the correct choice for the following scenario:

IN VIA DSL LINE

< Insert Cisco Router Here :) >

Windows 2000 Server hosting 5 websites with static IPs (one NIC)

any suggestions? my thanks.

Reply to
2hawks
Loading thread data ...

You could look into any 1700, 1800 series routers for that purpose. You would want the ADSL WIC card for the expansion slot. As far as the hosting of 5 websites via static IP is determined on the webserver using "host headers" to direct each request to the proper website on the server. It all depends what your traffic looks like.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

2hawks did not actually say ADSL, and ADSL is usually not a good choice for a server, being restricted to 640 Kbps upload.

The actual xDSL technology that 2hawks needs might not be supported on the 1700 (and possibly not 1800 either).

On the other hand, 2hawks might only need a Cisco 673, for SDSL at up to 1.18 Mbps symmetric.

To give a complete answer, we need to know the technology and the line rate, and we need to know of any other expectations that will be placed upon the router (e.g., is it expected to be running firewall functions? Is it expected to support Netflow for traffic analysis?)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Using IIS with each site on its own IP, host headers aren't necessary. Host headers are only necessary if multiple sites will be sharing an IP address. You shouldn't need a router if it's all going to one box, though. Why the router? Just set the NIC on the server to have all five of those IPs and you're all set. Save the $1000 for a 1800...

Reply to
bthetford

Hello bthetford,

And this is what you'll get using DSL - one IP address from the provider. When you NAT everything has to go to the same server IP address.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

He said he has 5 static IPs.

We have cable internet at our place of business but have a block of several IPs.

The only reason you'd need a router for this is if you have multiple nics that need to connect to the internet line. In our situation, we have an 1811 to handle that, but that's because there are separate NICs. If we had just one server with one NIC, we wouldn't need the 1811.

Reply to
bthetford

He said he has 5 static IPs (at least that's how I interpreted it).

We have cable internet at our place of business but have a block of several IPs.

The only reason you'd need a router for this is if you have multiple nics that need to connect to the internet line. In our situation, we have an 1811 to handle that, but that's because there are separate NICs. If we had just one server with one NIC, we wouldn't need the 1811.

Reply to
bthetford

Hi,

Mr. WALTER has already given you the answer. Go through his post

What services are you expecting from Router? What is your current line speed which is most important right now for furture improvement

CK

Chad Mah> > I am trying to determine what cisco router is the correct choice for

Reply to
CK

I know it isn't apparent from my generic "anywhere in the world" email address, but I happen to be in one of the cultures in which the custom is the surname is last and the personal name is first; so I am Mr. Roberson, rather than the much more common (by proportion of world population) Mr. Walter. But if you prefer or find it easier, you can refer to me by my nick-number, which is six double-five three two one.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thank you 655321... :p and all those who replied.

I suppose I should have been far more precise in my rather simple post. I am very much NOT and IT guy more of a hack programmer.

We have 5 static IPs for 5 different businesses. We have 1 Windows 2000 Server which hosts the 5 sites. We have one NIC. We have one DSL line .

We need effective (cost and function) security.

Originally someone had taken 4 Netgear FVS318s that were lying around and tried to make a firewall/routing system from that - yikes. Didn't work but only becuase the Windows 2000 server has one gateway and only one to return on thereby losing the original packet return info on everything except the main site IP.

So we need to get a better system. I am sure this is still incomplete information but perhaps a bit more.

2H
Reply to
2hawks

Okay, but in order for us to recommend a model, we need to know what kind of DSL, and what the line rate is on the DSL. You mention the DSL line but if you don't already have the router in place, is the implication that you have a "DSL modem" that is providing you with an ethernet connection? If so, did you want the new router to take over for the DSL modem, or is it okay to leave the DSL modem in place?

We need to know what kind of security protections you need. Are you looking for anti-virus? Protection against inside people using P2P programs?

Based upon what you have said, I'm not sure that you actually need a router at all: if you have a DSL modem that provides ethernet, then what you are looking for might just be a firewall.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.