Multiple Active Internet Links

I have a cisco 3600 router that is currently connected to one ISP.

Is it possible to connect a second link and have both links ative at the same time?

E.g. I will have VPN clients connecting over both links, I currently have the default route on the router set to the ISP's gateway, can I just set two default routes once I have two links? Or can I just get away with a route for each so that each link can only see it's appropriate gateway?

The clients will be connecting on one of either link and getting NAT'ed to the VPN server. I want the returned traffic to go out over the same link that it came in.

Hope you understand what I am waffling on about!!

Regards

Reply to
BNAZ
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a second link and have both links ative at the same time?

:Yes, although is not simple.

E.g. I will have VPN clients connecting over both links, I currently have the default route on the router set to the ISP's gateway, can I just set two default routes once I have two links?

: that's not possible unless you run BGP with your ISP's and/or run :load sharing per destination. (which would make things quite complex)

Or can I just get away with a route for each so that each link can only see it's appropriate gateway?

: A good solution may be doing multihome or policy based routing (unless you feel comfortable enough with CEF routing config go ahead and do load per destination).

hope it helps.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Arrgghh, this is getting too complicated!!

I only need to do this because for redundency for our VPN link I need a two vpn servers listening on two public IP addresses, this would be simple if I didn't have to have my users telnet and authenticate to the router/firewall first to open up the port, e.g. if I simply added a new link with a second router, how do I open up a port on both of the router/firewalls if I only telnet to one?

Regards

Reply to
BNAZ

In article , BNAZ wrote: :I only need to do this because for redundency for our VPN link I need a two :vpn servers listening on two public IP addresses, this would be simple if I :didn't have to have my users telnet and authenticate to the router/firewall :first to open up the port, e.g. if I simply added a new link with a second :router, how do I open up a port on both of the router/firewalls if I only :telnet to one?

You use a 'stateful failover' configuration. I -suspect- that the 3600 series routers cannot handle stateful failover, but I could easily be wrong.

The Cisco PIX 515/515E, 525, and 535 can handle stateful failover. Probably some of the Cisco 3000 series VPN concentrators can as well. I don't know what it would take to go stateful on an IOS device.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.