Can VRRP be used when the servers are in same LAN as clients?

I have my clients and the servers for which the load balancing needs to be done, are in the same LAN. Which protocol I can use to make the Failover Transparent to the clients?

I assume the VRRP cannot be used, as it runs only on the routers. This can help when I have the servers in a different LAN. But, how do I accomplish it when the clients and the servers are in the same LAN?

Reply to
qazmlp1209
Loading thread data ...

You set it up on the servers, not on routed interfaces when on the same LAN.

1, If the servers are patched to multiple switches: Setup the servers in failover mode..they MUST be failover mode not load balancing if they are patched in to different switches. 2, If going to the same switch: set the servers up as load balancing and create an etherchannel on the switch to the server.
Reply to
Brian V

VRRP is used for redundant network equipment, not redundant servers. If your servers are on one subnet, and clients on another, you would use VRRP running on two routers that each are connected to both subnets. The servers and clients point to a default-gateway, and VRRP is used so that if one of the routers fails, the other takes over the default-gateway ip address. It has nothing to do with configuring redundant servers. If your servers and clients are on the same subnet, than the router doesn't have any role in the communication between them.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.