[Newbie] How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

Hello,

I have just received 2 switches 3560G. I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other. SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1 SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1 In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.

Do I need to configure a default gateway ?

I haven't activated VLANs. Do I need to activate them ?

Well the 2 switches don't want to communicate to each other !!

I need your help.

Many thanks,

JP

Reply to
siew
Loading thread data ...

What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

Reply to
Chris

It's 255.255.255.0

Reply to
jp

I need your help. Please

Reply to
jp

Chris, are you saying that you are not supposed to be able to ping an IP on a different network? Cuz I do it all the time.

Reply to
John Smith

Okay, so you've got one switch on 192.168.10.1 /24 and one switch on

192.168.19.1 /24 and you can't ping from one to the other. Why do you think that is? Maybe it's because they are on different networks?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

He has two switches connected together on different networks. He has no layer three device so no, they won't be able to ping each other.

Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross over cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on 192.168.19.1 /24, could you ping from one to the other? Of course not!

Read the original post!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Depends on what you have the default gateways set to.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

If there were only two devices on two different networks then it wouldn't matter. What would you set the default gateway on the first PC to? There is no other device on the same network to use as a default gateway.

Please read the original post. Two layer two devices on different networks can't ping each other over the switch to switch link. NO layer three routing device is present.

------cross over -------

I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other. SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1 SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1 In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.

JP, if you just configure both switches to be on the same network then you should be able to ping one from the other. At the moment they are in different networks. To route from one network to the other requires a layer three device.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Ouah so many answers. Thanks a lot.

So in fact there are 2 firewalls in addition of the 2 switches. Switch 1 is connected to firewall 1 (a PIX 515E) Switch 2 is connected to Firewall 1 (Sonicwall 230). Now I'm using those 2 switches as simple switches but they are Layer 3 devices.

Reply to
jp

The OP said the switches were 3560G. The 3560 series is the PoE version of the Cat3550 Multilayer Switch.

formatting link
The Cisco Catalyst 3560 is available with either the standard multilayer software image (SMI) or the enhanced multilayer software image (EMI). The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS, rate-limiting, ACLs, and basic routing functionality. The EMI provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR).

.... Of course the routing features would have to be enabled, which the OP does not say anything about having done -- but both ends *are* Layer 3+ devices when configured to be so.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.