MLPPP Help Needed - Please review Telco Configuration on Cisco Router

I have been trying to move my company from a 1.5 managed Internet line (includes telco router) to a 4.5 multilink Internet line (inclides telco router) for over a month now. We have a PIX Firewall behind our current 1.5 managed Internet connection. The PIX points to the gateway of last resort on the 1.5 Internet router (route outside

0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0. 12.94.x.x 1). All external IP addressing for the old and new telco router is the same. The problem is, when I try to switch to the new 4.5 multilink Internet line -- I cannot get out to the Internet, ping the serial interface of the new router, nothing. I clear arp and power the PIX down when I try to switch over to the new 4.5 Internet line. I have the configuration of the 4.5 telco router below (I am not sure what the problem is)? Any ideas? We directly connect our firewall into g0/0, but we are unable to ping the customer serial IP address.

********************************************************************************* Current configuration : 3584 bytes ! version 12.4 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec service password-encryption ! hostname MIS ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! enable secret 5 $1$3YQw$V7pPDom6dUj12345699Z3spiF23331 ! no aaa new-model ! resource policy ! ! ip cef ! ! no ip domain lookup ! voice-card 0 no dspfarm ! ! username NI_NY_ ! ! interface Multilink103482 ip address 12.98.x.x 255.255.255.252 ip access-group 101 in no keepalive no cdp enable ppp chap hostname 12.98.x.x ppp multilink ppp multilink group 103482 ppp multilink fragment disable ! interface GigabitEthernet0/0 description connection to customer LAN ip address 12.94.x.x 255.255.255.240 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp no ip mroute-cache duplex full speed auto no cdp enable ! interface GigabitEthernet0/1 description connection to customer LAN ip address 12.95.x.x 255.255.255.240 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp no ip mroute-cache duplex full speed 100 no cdp enable ! interface Serial0/0/0 description connection to NY Circuit 1 1xT1 no ip address encapsulation ppp no cdp enable ppp chap hostname 12.98.x.x ppp multilink ppp multilink group 103482 max-reserved-bandwidth 100 ! interface Serial0/1/0 description connection to NY Circiut 2 2xT1 no ip address encapsulation ppp no cdp enable ppp chap hostname 12.98.x.x ppp multilink ppp multilink group 103482 max-reserved-bandwidth 100 ! interface Serial0/2/0 description connection to NY Circiut 3 3xT1 no ip address encapsulation ppp no cdp enable ppp chap hostname 12.98.x.x ppp multilink ppp multilink group 103482 max-reserved-bandwidth 100 ! ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Multilink103482 ip route 12.95.x.x 255.255.255.240 12.94.x.x ! ! no ip http server no ip http secure-server ! access-list 101 deny ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any log access-list 101 deny ip 12.94.x.x 0.0.0.15 any log access-list 101 deny ip 12.95.x.x 0.0.0.15 any log access-list 101 permit ip any any no cdp run ! ! end

Reply to
ks-case
Loading thread data ...

*********************************************************************************
Reply to
Merv

do you have a PC with a GE Ethernet port ?

if so connect it to the router port and see if you can ping the router IP address? can you then access the Internet ?

do you have access to the telco router ?

if so post the output of show version and the output of show int ge

0/0 or 0/1 whcih ever port the PIX connects to

- do this with the PIX connected.

From the router can you ping the PIX IP address facing the router

check the router ARP cache to see if your see an ARP entry for the PIX MAC address

Reply to
Merv

Merv, thanks for posting. When I connect a laptop to the G0/0 port of the router, I can only ping the IP address of the G0/0 interface. I cannot ping the IP address of the router. The problem is that I do not have access to the telco router. The telco was able to ping my PIX outside interface during the tests.

When I hard coded one of our external IP addresses with all the DNS information on the latop, I was able to get out to the Internet through this router -- but the browsing was very slow, the page refresh took 10 seconds, and I had to request pages several times before they came up. When I looked at the NIC card of the laptop, the sent packet activity would be very low (15). I tried three different laptops and all three had the same NIC problem.

When I try to cutover to the new router, I shut the existing router down. Perform clear arp on the PIX, and then shut it down. Bring up the new circuits and router - wait 5 minutes - and then bring up the PIX. Do you think that will get rid of the old hardware address?

I'm going to attempt my fourth line turn up this Friday night, but I am sure the Telco will tell me it is my network again and not work with me. Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
ks-case

What IP address did you assign to the NIC on the PC ?

The router has its speed and duplex set to

duplex full speed 100

you need to set the speed and duplex manually on your NIC to match the router's settings

i.e do NOT use auto-negiotiate on the PC NIC which is probably the default

Reply to
Merv

Merv, I did have the NIC card set to autonegotiate. The IP address I assigned was one higher than the g0/0 ip address with the same subnet mask, etc. Tomorrow night I am going to do some more testing and call in to the telco. I will post what happens. Thanks.

Reply to
ks-case

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.