MLPPP for 2xT1 (one channelized) and support in 2812 routers

I have been searching Cisco's web site, but could not find a specific answer: could one use MLPPP between two 2812s, bonding one full T1 and one channelized (10 channels reserved for voice) T1? I have right now a setup which is totally unacceptable as far as QoS, and MLPPP seems to offer better alternatives, but cannot find if 2812 would support it in the configuration above (oh! - and if it matters, the T1s are coming from two different vendors).

TIA, Papi

Reply to
papi
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
papi

The links to be used for MLPPP need to be between the same two routers, so MLPP could not be used for links terminating on two different ISP's.

Reply to
Merv

Do you mean that these lines are terminated to two different routers on the other end? Then you can't use MLPPP even if the lines were of the same speed. Or did you mean that you have just lines from different telco's but both are terminated on the same router?

Section 2 (Overview) of RFC 1990 says that individual members of an MLPPP bundle can be of different kind. I'm not aware whether Cisco supports it. Even if they did, it wouldn't be good thing to use because links of a different speed may lead to re-ordering packets, those canceling the effect of combined bandwidth.

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Hi Papi,

Member links in a MLPPP bundle may have different speeds. As others have noted, they should be "parallel" links that terminate at the same router on the other end. (or the virtual equivalent--within the same multichassis MLPPP group)

That said, experience has shown that combining wildly mismatched links will give poor results. For example, if you hook a 56k link up with a T1, the resulting bundle may just have less throughput than the T1 you started with!

Could you give any _numbers_ as to how your existing setup is "totally unacceptable as far as QoS"?

A nice side effect of MLPPP is the opportunity to do LFI "Link Fragmentation and Interleaving", and greatly reduce latency for priority traffic. In fact, this "side effect" is really the dominant use of MLPPP these days: .

regards, Bruce Lueckenhoff

--

formatting link

Reply to
Bruce.Lueckenhoff

Thanks to all who answered!

Here are some comments, in light of what others have asked, for further clarification:

1. The two links are between two routers (one at each end): one link is fractional t1 data + some voice channels, the other is a full t1, so MLPPP seems feasible from this standpoint, even if dissimilar links (what would be the impact on the voice channles, though, as far as possible interruption(s) during the change process?!?)
  2. The initial attempt (our first in the QoS "arena", using Cisco, after years of Nortel ;( ) was by defining it as in the pseudo-sample below (summarized from our config). The problem was that once a session of - let's say - a huge SMB file share exchange would start, if on the "wrong" side (the 640K), the transfer would be horrible (picking on the , while a lower end SMB file share - if lucky to get started on the full T1 - would get an extraordinary response time ==> end result was uneveness of performance ...

So - would MLPPP resolve this, and would it be feasible by bundling the T1s, even if one is fractional?

If not - any other suggested solutions (perhaps pointers to RTFMs)?!?

! class-map match-all some-app match access-group 2608 class-map match-all ospf match access-group 2603 class-map match-all some-other-app match access-group 2604 class-map match-all telnet&ssh match access-group 2602 class-map match-all microsoft-smb match access-group 2609 ! policy-map t1-qos-policy class telnet&ssh priority 128 class some-other-app bandwidth 320 class some-app shape average 320000 class microsoft-smb shape average 450000 class ospf bandwidth 128 class class-default fair-queue policy-map 640k-qos-policy class telnet&ssh priority 128 class some-other-app bandwidth 320 class some-app shape average 320000 class microsoft-smb shape average 192000 class ospf bandwidth 128 class class-default fair-queue ! interface Serial0/2/1:10 description site1 fullt1 serial ip address ip route-cache flow ip ospf cost 130 service-policy output t1-qos-policy ! interface Serial2/0/0:3 description site1 fractt1 serial ip address ip route-cache flow ip ospf cost 130 max-reserved-bandwidth 100 service-policy output 640k-qos-policy

Reply to
papi

are those voice channels just bunch of DS0 that you hook to your PBX? In this case the impact is none as this is Time-Devision Multiplexing and your voice gets guaranteed time frames to transmit, so stop worrying about it.

That's because you've chosen load-balancing between unequal links.

No, you will probably get even worse performance (always little faster than

640Kbps but much slower than T1) due to packet reordering and possible retransmissions.

Easiest thing is to use lines as primary-backup. More sophisticated aproach would be to use policy-based routing with next-hop availability tracking for choosing one link as primary for one type of traffic, while second link used as primary for another category of traffic, when one of the links goes down all traffic will go over remaining link.

Could you please show this access-list? You don't need to match routing protocols originated on this router (not true for transit, but OSPF packets almost never transit unless you have virtual links), those packets are handled based on internal PAK_PRIORITY and won't be cought by any class-map. Such packets will always get their share (perhaps even at the expense of other classes if you are not careful with assigning leaving some bandwidth not reserved).

By default you can reserve upto 75% of the interface bandwidth. For serial links you can safely lift this up to 90-95% using 'max-reserved-bandwidth' command on the interface, however I'd recommend you not to change it for ATM-based interfaces (think DSL). So, you sum of 'bandwidth' in all your classes can reach upto specified max-reserved-bandwidth and remaining bw will be left for routing protocols (and for ATM cell headers in case of DSL).

with this command you don't guarantee (reserve) any bandwidth for the class but instead just set upper limit that traffic in this class can reach. If you want both min and max bw for this class, add 'bandwidth' command here and keep 'shape'. If you want to let this class to use any leftover bandwidth (if some other class didn't need what was reserved for it), use only 'bandwidth' command. Also instead of specifying absolute values in bps, you could use 'bandwidth percent' form so you'd need to configure only single policy.

I'd suggest you to leave default OSPF cost and use these two interfaces in primary-backup fashion. If you're really short on bandwidth, you should consider policy-routing and put some less important or less bandwidth-hungry (like telnet/ssh) traffic over slower link.

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

I was worried about the process of switching to PPP, basically, and possible interruption in voice, during the process.

Yes! That's why I was asking about MLPPP

... but wouldn't this be "faster than TWO 640 Kbps" (one - originally the channelized, and the other part of T1), rather than faster than [only]

640Kbps ?!?

That's exactly what I had originally :) - and all statically addressed ... after which I have switched to OSPF, then moved on to making arrangements for some sort of control of bandwidth (QoS), and ending up here ...

Good point - the thought was for "up-to/not-more-than", but never low end guarantee - but it is a good point - I should do that.

Another good point!

Thanks again, iLya - I was afraid that the only solution would be to move back to where I have started from: specific traffic on one or the other line, and cost differentiating them, to use them in primary/backup fashion.

Another option (that I am contemplating right now) is to front-end the PBXs in each location with some "IP-zation" of voice, thus deliver it to the routers on the ethernet interface, instead of the DI card. That would allow me to have two full T1s "out of the routers", thus possibility of improvements (perhaps ?!?) by using MLPPP.

Thanks again, Papi

Reply to
papi

your voice time-slots don't have anything to do with whatever you carry in other time-slots, so they won't be affected by whatever changes you make with your L2/L3 packets carried in the data time-slots.

It may or it may not - in case of TCP the receiving host may get too many out-of-order packets without acknowledging them, which will cause sender to resend packets or/and slow down transmission rate.

what was wrong with policy-based routing? slow router?

[...]

not cost-diff but policy-based. As far as I know Cisco doesn't support TOS-based routing so you can't get different routing for different traffic types with any of the routing protocols. With policy-based routing with next-hop availability tracking (unless you get big performance hit) you'd use both links and one will be always backup for another.

This is up to you, but I'd plan this very carefully not just over a weekend. Another alternative could be to split voice time-slots between two links, if you can do it.

You're welcome!

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Papi,

If I'm following you correctly, you have two point to point links between a pair of 2821s: an unchannelized T1 (I assume at 1536kbps) and a channelized T1, of which you are using a 10-DS0 channel group for data, at 640kbps. And what you want to do is to share load between the 1536kbps and 640kbps links.

In that case, yes, MLPPP would be your best bet. Just be sure to set bandwidth correctly on each interface.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Yes - you are correct in your interpretation of my setup - but the previous opinions were that I could not use the "sum" of both the unachannlezid T1 and fractional one, because of their uneveness, and that an MLPPP over both would only make available the sum of the lowest common denominator (two 640 Kbps) ... am I missing something here?!?

Thx, P

Reply to
papi

Might be that you won't even reach sum of the lowest common denominator.

Here is a quote from Cisco document:

"...It is recommended that member links in a bundle have the same bandwidth. If you add unequal bandwidth links to the bundle, it will lead to lot of packet reordering, which will cause overall bundle throughput to diminish..."

formatting link
and look at "Recommendations" section)

True that the document is about 7500 and 7600 routers, but it's very unlikely that lower-end models are better in this respect.

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

iLya,

This recommendation in the document cited below pertains specifically to the "VIP-MLP" feature, i.e. to the MLPPP implementation found specifically in the 7500 VIP, and NOT to normal IOS MLP, such as is found in 7200, 3800s, and other "lower-end models". VIP-MLP does not support fragmentation or member links of varying speeds.

For more on VIP-MLP and its limitations, see

formatting link

Normal IOS MLPPP does not have these restrictions, and supports fragmentation and member links of differing speeds. (The disadvantage of IOS MLPPP vs VIP-MLP is that it uses more router CPU load, as VIP-MLP offloads the burden to the VIP.)

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Yes, what you are missing is that these opinions were incorrect; IOS MLPPP does support bundling links of unequal rates.

And what WE are missing is good documentation on this functionality :-( . In any case, just put your two links in the same bundle, configure their bandwidth values correctly, and see how they perform. As you run your tests, I'd recommed varying the fragment size to find the sweet spot ("ppp multilink fragment delay" command.)

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron,

I believe that one can configure MLP on any links, but does Cisco implementation has provision in their sequencing algorithm to account for difference in the speed? Something similar to EIGRP unequal-cost load-balancing where number of packets scheduled over particular interface will be proportional to the bandwidth of that interface. Without such provision there is good possibility for hitting "out-of-order packets" problem that will reduce experienced throughput of the link bundle. I couldn't find anything regarding this issue in RFC. Do you know if Cisco addresses this in IOS?

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ but not required

formatting link
~ and look at "Recommendations" section)

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

"fragment delay" will affect only maximum time a packet can wait in the tx-buffer. However different serialization delay of the links will cause packets (fragments if using LFI) over slower link to come after packets over faster link even if later were send after the former. If traffic is not high, this probably won't matter much, but if rate of out-of-order packets increases this will cause reduced TCP window and possibly retransmissions. Yet again it depends on the traffic.

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Considering the fact that I originally posted the question, I would like to say that I appreciate a lot your discussion, so I am still with my eyes wide open on this thread, and especially curious about an answer to iLya's latest question, which will definitely drive my next steps. Thanks to both for this!

P.

Reply to
papi

~ I believe that one can configure MLP on any links, but does Cisco ~ implementation has provision in their sequencing algorithm to account for ~ difference in the speed? Something similar to EIGRP unequal-cost ~ load-balancing where number of packets scheduled over particular interface ~ will be proportional to the bandwidth of that interface. Without such ~ provision there is good possibility for hitting "out-of-order packets" ~ problem that will reduce experienced throughput of the link bundle. I ~ couldn't find anything regarding this issue in RFC. Do you know if Cisco ~ addresses this in IOS?

The short answer is, yes, the standard IOS MLPPP implementation does support unequal cost load-balancing over multiple links, while still delivering all packets in correct sequence.

The long answer would explain HOW this works and what all different knobs affect this behavior ... alas that's a topic for another day.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

~ > Yes, what you are missing is that these opinions were incorrect; ~ > IOS MLPPP does support bundling links of unequal rates. ~ >

~ > And what WE are missing is good documentation on this functionality :-( . ~ > In any case, just put your two links in the same bundle, configure ~ > their bandwidth values correctly, and see how they perform. As you ~ > run your tests, I'd recommed varying the fragment size to find the ~ > sweet spot ("ppp multilink fragment delay" command.) ~ >

~ "fragment delay" will affect only maximum time a packet can wait in the ~ tx-buffer. However different serialization delay of the links will cause ~ packets (fragments if using LFI) over slower link to come after packets over ~ faster link even if later were send after the former. If traffic is not ~ high, this probably won't matter much, but if rate of out-of-order packets ~ increases this will cause reduced TCP window and possibly retransmissions. ~ Yet again it depends on the traffic. ~ ~ Kind regards, ~ iLya ~

Fragment delay actually is the knob that controls the max fragment size. By adjusting the max fragment size, you can control how smoothly your MLPPP fragments are spread across the bundle's multiple links.

Regardless of your setting of fragment delay, you will NOT get out of order packets with MLPPP, UNLESS you are interleaving.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

It's really great to have people from Cisco participating in this newsgroup. Previously I was searching CCO for this bits of info, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for info, Aaron! Is there some document on CCO that talks about this issue?

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.