how to configure pvst on a catalyst 3500?

hello people,

well, basically the question is in the subject. i'm really confused about all the options for this subject, lime mstp, pvst, pvst+ etc.

could someone give me some basic pointers on what's hot and what's not when it comes to this? i can't use the catos-syntax so an example using the ios would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

sven

Reply to
Sven Juergensen
Loading thread data ...

in global config:

spanning-tree vlan [vlans] root primary | secondary spanning-tree vlan [vlans] priority [priority]

This way you create a separate instance of spanning tree, per VLAN, and specify which switch is the root and its priority for each VLAN.

Hence, Per-VLAN Spanning Tree.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

pvst+ is enabled by default.

Don't let the marketing confuse you. It is just basic spanning tree, a seperate one for each VLAN, with a couple of little optional twiddles that may or may not help in your case.

You should choose a root switch and a backup root switch at the centre of your network by setting the bridge priority. You need to do this for each VLAN.

The Cisco BSCMSN book (I have the second edition) has a good chapter on this.

I don't like using the macros much. i.e. "spanning-tree vlan [vlans] root primary | secondary"

It is so easy to just set it the way you want it with "spanning-tree vlan [vlans] priority [priority]"

At least read the configuration guide for your software version.

Unless yor network has specific requirements, in which case you should get someone to help, you do not need to do much.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.