Max. OSPF Areas per Router ?

Hello, What is the max. no of OSPF areas a router (for example C7200) can still handle ?

Reply to
Roland Sonder
Loading thread data ...

depends.

1) how many routers are in the areas 2) stub? 3) totally stubby? 4) volatile network? 5) NPE-G1s? 6) large routing tables?

There are no absolutes in networking....

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Hi,

I agree and I do understand your remarks. It's just a lot of variables I don't yet know myself. Actually I'm kind of looking for a guidelines to help me to make a better design evaluation for a particular customer. The current OSPF network is fairly unstructured and does not cope with new requirements such as additional backup links. In the new design the customer wants a particular router to be a member of several areas (>50). When I saw this design, I was just uncertain whether the router can cope with it and what platform this might require. So far I haven't found any area restriction just recommondations on how many routers one should not exceed per area.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Sonder

We have around 200 in one area, 2600 to GSR and no problems.

Reply to
Ben

One router that's in more than 50 areas? That's insanity. You can get away with four areas on a 7500 even in a decent size network. But summarization from other areas is a must. And it has to be a stable network. What kind of people design networks that require a router to be in 50 areas? (I'm excluding class carrier boxes like Shasta's that can virtualize routing tables)

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.