Local Lan Access not working

Our head Office is using a Cisco Pix 515e Firewall behind a Cisco 827 DSL router, another remote office site is using a Cisco Pix 506 firewall behind a Cisco 827 DSL router. These are happily talking to each other in a site to site VPN. We also have broadband and dial up users connecting via VPN into the Head Office through the 515e Pix using the Cisco VPN client ver 4.0.2b. Everything works great with the exception of this: One of our Directors connects into the company LAN from his home LAN using his company laptop and the VPN client. There is a printer hanging of his home XP-Pro Desktop that he want to print to. Prior to running up his VPN connection, he can print across his LAN through the desktop fine, once the vpn tunnel is active he cannot. I turned on the "allow Local LAN access" feature in the VPN client, but it makes no difference. I also went into the web gui on the 515e Pix, went into the split tunneling screen and added the network addressing for his LAN (192.168.1.0), this made no difference. FYI - The network address range for his home LAN is completely different to the address range used on the inside of the company LAN, so no conflict there. Also during all of this the VPN client has the statefull inspection firewall enabled (this is bundled with the cisco client). Turning this off also made no difference. What do I need to change in order to get the printing/Local Lan access to work? Is there some other things I need change on the PIX firewall?

Reply to
bevan.lindsey
Loading thread data ...
  1. See if he can ping the IP address assigned to his desktop (192.168.1.x) while the VPN connection is up

1. If so, see if the printer can be accessed using a sharename with the IP address in it i.e \\192.168.1.x\printer_name

Reply to
Merv

No once the Vpn tunnel is established he cannot ping any local lan address (192.168.1.X). Prior to the VPN tunnel he can. Surely this is a PIX issue?

Reply to
bevan.lindsey

In article , wrote: :We also have broadband and dial up :users connecting via VPN into the Head Office through the 515e Pix :using the Cisco VPN client ver 4.0.2b. Everything works great with the :exception of this:

:home XP-Pro Desktop that he want to print to. Prior to running :up his VPN connection, he can print across his LAN through the desktop :fine, once the vpn tunnel is active he cannot. I turned on the "allow :Local LAN access" feature in the VPN client, but it makes no :difference. I also went into the web gui on the 515e Pix, went into the :split tunneling screen and added the network addressing for his LAN :(192.168.1.0), this made no difference.

Please check the vpngroup 'split-tunnel' ACL. It should be written as if the source is the PIX inside addresses, and the destinations are the IP pool addresses that are assigned to the vpngroup. The ACL indicates the connections that will go over the tunnel; anything denied (implicitly or explicitly) will be permitted directly for the client.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.