Load Balancing NxSTM1s

Hi,

If I want to load balance 2 or more STM1 links, what options are available? What are the trade-offs of these configurations.

I know that for NxT1, you could either use packet-by-packet based load sharing, and destination based load sharing. Are these also applicable to STM1 links?

How do I configure the router (I think it is a 7500 series) to do packet-by-packet load sharing and destination based load sharing.

Your time, effort and suggestions will be greatly appreciated Jaco Versfeld

Reply to
jaco.versfeld
Loading thread data ...

packet by packet potentially uses bandwidth better, but may re-order packets (and some applications dont like this).

per destination (or any of the other hashing based schemes) force any 1 source / destination flow to go over a single link, so any 1 conversation is limited to the speed of a single link. Also if you only have a small number of conversations, then load balancing may be very uneven.

Note that you can do such things at layer2 using MLPPP, or at layer 3 if you use a routing protocol that can install multiple equal cost routes to the same destination, and set it up to do so.

might be - but packet by packet is likely to saturate the CPU before you load up the link.

i suggest you use CEF

Note that a VIP is not going to handle 2 STM-1s, so put the 2 interfaces in different VIPs

may make more sense to buy a more modern router that has hardware acceleration to get high thruput at a reasonable cost- personally i like the

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.