Load Balancing

Load balancing two T1s to the same ISP can be done reuqesting that the ISP terminate the 2nd T1 on the same router as the first T1.

You would configuring a loopback interface on your end and finding out what the loopbackis on the

you then configure a default route that points to the ISP looback address

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip route 255.255.255.255 ip route 255.255.255.255

You ISP would implement similiar

Reply to
Merv
Loading thread data ...

router to router VPNs are usually GRE tunnels encypted using IPSEC.

so this traffic cn be load balanced using the method described above.

contact me via private email if you wish to discuss further " snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com"

Reply to
Merv

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Cisco expert.

We have recently aquired a company in another state and I have been assigned the task of connecting the 2 locations. We currently have one T1 to the Internet running thru a 1720 router. There is no routing being done except for the default route out. The router has room for 2 WIC's but only one slot is being used. I do have an extra WIC for the empty slot. We are currently using a high percentage of our bandwidth during business hours (~

60%) and have ordered another T1 due to be delivered in about 3 weeks.

How do I best load balance the 2 circuits assuming that we will be using a firewall-to-firewall VPN to connect the 2 locations? Will this router handle the task or do I need different hardware? Would it be better to setup a router-to-router VPN than using the firewall(SonicWall) method? Will there be any changes necessary on the ISP end or will all inbound traffic come in 1 interface?

I have many more questions but will leave it at that for now.

All help is appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

"Merv" wrote in news:1108483563.200436.271720 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

If a VPN is serial interface to serial interface, (which it is isn't it) doing that would not allow for a router to router VPN. Is that correct?

Reply to
Larry

I'm not sure what it would do to the VPN, but I have written a little HOWTO on doing per-packet load balancing across multiple T1's with Cisco routers. Might help.

formatting link

Reply to
jgentry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.