Linksys BEFVP41 to Cisco Pix 506E

I'm in the process of setting up about 5 or 6 small offices, all have adsl, to vpn back to our central office server. Each office has anywhere from the largest of 25 computers to the smallest which has 6. Our central office has a Small Business server 2003 using ISA Server

2000 and and Cisco Pix 506E with a T1. I would like to use a Linksys BEFVP41 to VPN each office back to central office. Is there somewhere that will show me how to do this? I know this can be done..but I need the command line for the PIX and how to setup the BEFVP41. One other question, would the remote offices need a static IP?

Thanks......

Reply to
mwells
Loading thread data ...

|I'm in the process of setting up about 5 or 6 small offices, all have |adsl, to vpn back to our central office server. Each office has |anywhere from the largest of 25 computers to the smallest which has 6. |Our central office has a Small Business server 2003 using ISA Server |2000 and and Cisco Pix 506E with a T1. I would like to use a Linksys |BEFVP41 to VPN each office back to central office. Is there somewhere |that will show me how to do this? I know this can be done..but I need |the command line for the PIX and how to setup the BEFVP41. One other |question, would the remote offices need a static IP? | |Thanks......

The first question I have is why are you using ISA Server AND a PIX? The PIX can easily handle ALL of your firewall needs, and far more efficiently than ISA can.

As for BEFVP41 to PIX, there is no supported method to connect them. While they both support IPSec, the VP41 (and RV series now) implementation is deliberately different than the PIX, at least according to my dealer tech support rep at Linksys. Cisco wants you to buy PIX 501's or 506E's for your remote offices and a 506E or 515 for your home office in a situation like you have. If that is cost prohibitive you might consider using RV042 series at each location. They support 30 tunnels and dual Internet pipes (for backup if you need it), otherwise, I'd look for 501's for the 6 user office and 506E's for the larger offices (or just get all 506E's for ease of management).

Be forewarned, however, that Cisco hasn't yet provided a version 7 of their latest PIX OS for 501 or 506E, at least the last time I checked, so if you're in need of any of those features you'll have to wait for 7.1 and a striped down version for the 50x series.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at

formatting link

Reply to
Brian Bergin

In article , Brian Bergin wrote: :As for BEFVP41 to PIX, there is no supported method to connect them. While they :both support IPSec, the VP41 (and RV series now) implementation is deliberately :different than the PIX, at least according to my dealer tech support rep at :Linksys. Cisco wants you to buy PIX 501's or 506E's for your remote offices and :a 506E or 515 for your home office in a situation like you have.

The VP41 version 1 connects to the 501, 506E, and 525 with little difficulty. 3DES, group 2, pre-shared keys (maximum 24 bytes).

The only problem I've had is that sometimes a TCP session will freeze, with the other active TCP sessions being fine. This problem was noticably more frequent with the Linksys BEFSX* (which also has little difficulty connecting to PIXen.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bsacap.org wrote: :I'm in the process of setting up about 5 or 6 small offices, all have :adsl, to vpn back to our central office server. Each office has :anywhere from the largest of 25 computers to the smallest which has 6. :Our central office has a Small Business server 2003 using ISA Server :2000 and and Cisco Pix 506E with a T1. I would like to use a Linksys :BEFVP41 to VPN each office back to central office. Is there somewhere :that will show me how to do this? I know this can be done..but I need :the command line for the PIX and how to setup the BEFVP41. One other :question, would the remote offices need a static IP?

The remote offices would NOT need a static IP.

Configure the BEFVP41 for 3DES Group 2 (you'll want to use the Advanced configuration to be -sure- both phases are done properly.) Configure the PIX with a crypto dynamic map with the isakmp policies and transform sets corresponding to 3DES Group 2 SHA.

If I recall correctly, the BEFVP41 does support NAT-T so you could use AH, but that could be an add-on later once you have the non-AH transform working.

On the PIX end, you would configure just as if another PIX connecting (except for lack of AES support.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.