Is the PIX 506E too outdated for us?

We recently started running Windows Small Business Server 2003 with its built-in Exchange server. The server is presently used mostly as a file server and for POP3 email. We plan on changing the email so it is delivered directly to Exchange, and a few of our 15 users need to have remote access to the data files on the server.

An organization we work with has a Cisco PIX 506E that they are no longer using, which we may be able to get for little or no money. We know the 506E has an excellent reputation and would like to use if we can.-- However, I checked Cisco's site and it appears that Cisco has discontinued support on the PIX software, and plans to discontinue support on the PIX hardware in early 2007. -- So my question is this: Is the PIX 506E too outdated for us to go to the trouble of setting up and using? Thanks.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Willard
Loading thread data ...

Would you be able to post a link for that information? I haven't received any EOL/EOS letter along those lines. The EoS/EoL section at

formatting link
does not indicate anything like that at present.

The closest I can find for that is

formatting link
announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card" (leaving the VPN+ card unchanged.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Here is the link -

formatting link
Here is the item I mentioned that came that link:

Q. How long will the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms be supported? A. The support schedule for the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms is as follows:

a.. End of sale: May 24, 2002 (no longer available for purchase) b.. End of software support: May 24, 2005 c.. End of hardware support: May 24, 2007 (hardware repairs or exchanges are no longer available) Leon

formatting link
which announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card"

Reply to
Leon Willard

formatting link

formatting link
> which announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card"

Leon, That's for the plain ole 506, you have a 506E which is a current pix, same as the 515E is a current. For what you have it's a great box.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Just what I needed to know! -- Thanks very much for everybody's input. -- Now I gotta go start negotiating for that PIX.

Leon

formatting link
>

formatting link
>> which announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card"

Reply to
Leon Willard

Caution: the PIX license doesn't transfer if they sell you or give you the PIX: if you ever expect to upgrade or get support, then you would have to "relicense" the machine.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.