6 Meg Pipe

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question and wanted to get an outside opinion.

I have approximately 500 users for a temporary installation at a hotel. The Hotel is offering us a 6 meg pipe for us but I am concerned if this is enough bandwidth? I don't imagine all 500 users on at once, but do you think a six meg pipe will be adequate for it?

Just want an opinion before I bring it to my engineers.

Thanks,

-JP

Reply to
Jeremy Patuto
Loading thread data ...

Jeremy, what are your users going to be doing? Surfing, email, etc., or more data-dense business ops? I suppose it would all depend. What percentage of your users might be on concurrently? 50? 25? 75? thanks Russ

Reply to
roahboah

Just surfing and email...

I would guess at MOST (and I stress most) 200 at a time, but just surfing the internet and checking the internet, no data sensitive ops or streaming etc...

-JP

Reply to
Jeremy Patuto

Okay, if 200 people were on at once and all trying to grab data, they'd be limited to roughly 30kb/s apiece, all things being equal. That's not too bad, and most people's experience would be a lot better than that as well, if 200 at a time would be the max. Let's put it this way - it's totally appropriate for work. If you're somewhat conversant with Cisco configuration (and I'm assuming you are since you posted this here), some sort of very basic queueing on your router should help to smooth everything out and prevent people from hogging the whole pipe. hope this helps, Russ

Reply to
roahboah

At the Long Beach Convention Center, for the Long Beach Grand Prix, Verizon handles all the comm stuff and they setup for about 50 photographers a only couple DSL lines to share. For surfing it was OK, but the photographers upload photos. Lots of them, and at hi-res. The Verizon techs couldn't figure out why the lines were saturated until I explained to them the majority of the traffic was sending, not receiving!

Reply to
you know who maybe

Thanks alot guys!

-JP

Reply to
Jeremy Patuto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.