Limiting user max throughput via router?

Is there some way to limit users to some max of network throughput, say in % of total? I have the Linksys BEFSX41. Is there an after market software package or something that works with the router to do something like that?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
trs80
Loading thread data ...

Probably not without replacing the entire software. and it would require an extensive reworking of functionality.

Identifying users requires that the users authenticate to the device, which could -potentially- be done just with a local user database, but would usually be implemented in terms of RADIUS or TACACS+ or NT server. It is usually noticably easier for designers to implement restrictions per IP instead of per user.

The BEFSX41 does not appear to be Linux based, and I have not been able to find a Linux port for it in the time I spent investigating. I do find, though, that kaeilos.com (formly KLinux) generally supports the ARM940T processor that is in the BEFSX41, so if you were to purchase the kaeilos toolkit and had the patience to hack it, in theory you could put together a port... eventually.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
trs80

In article , trs80 wrote: [Linksys BEFSX41]

Which tab is that on? I can't find it on my BEFSX41 ?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
trs80

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.