Lan redundancy

Hello

I would like to do an HSRP between two Catalyst 4510 backbone switches. I have 20 vlans configured for my LAN.

1. I would like to know if there is some issue to update automatically the vlan config of my first 4510 to the other. Like a VTP Backup server. For example, i create a vlan in the first, i would like an automatic replication in the other. It is possible ?

1. How do i need to do to configure HSRP for all my vlans interface ?

Thank you in advance

Regards

TOM

Reply to
Toto
Loading thread data ...

This can be easily accomplished by creating a VTP domain and putting both of those switches in the same VTP domain. Set one of your 4510s up as a VTP Server and the other as a VTP Client. Your VLAN changes will need to be made on the server and will replicate down to the client (you will not be able to make VLAN changes on the client).

HSRP is layer 3 - VLANs are layer 2. If you're running layer 2 on that switch you could accomplish redundancy by using STP. Take a look at this document which really outlines STP and goes into detailed configuration:

formatting link

Cheers, Spencer Teran

Reply to
Spencer Teran

Thank you for your response

In fact, i want to make redundancy for my backbone switch and for my cisco router. You think that stp would be sufficient for the switch ? and i just need to use hsrp for the router ?

You say to me that the backup switch could be vtp client of the same domain. but when my backbone switch go down, there will not be any vtp server ! how can i do the configure a backup vtp server ?

thank you

regards Spencer Teran a écrit :

formatting link

Reply to
Toto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.