L3 switch vs. router on stick

Would a router on a stick configuration with a 2650xm dot1q trunked to a

2950 switch do the same thing as a pure layer 3 switch such as a 3750?
Reply to
AN
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

No.

3750 has 1,000s or 10s of 1,000s or more, throughout than a 26xx software router.

Router will have a wider variety of facilties.

What throughput do you need? What IOS features do you wish to use?

Reply to
bod43

I am not concerned about through put as I am bring up a new 4 person office on a t-1 MPLS circuit. I don't want to spend the jack on a 3750 L3 switch when I have a few 2650xm's with t-1 cards and 2950's laying around collecting dust. I have not touched a router in 4 years since I got rid of my NxT1 private lines and went with MPLS with ethernet handoffs that land on a vlan on my L3 switches.

Reply to
AN

yeah of course, it will work just fine. Disadvantages are the bandwidth of the single link going to the switch may get saturated. I take it this is just for routing VLAN's, have to also ask the question why you need VLAN's for a 4 person office?

flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Have db servers, their own internet circuit, and hw ap's, along with mgmt vlans, and to follow a topology standard and subnet numbering plan.

If you are looking for something to be critical about I will give you the IT Director, the Application Engineers and the Security Engineers contact info you can criticize their asshole requirements.

I just work, get my check so I can get pussy and drink beer and enjoy fun things not IT things...

I don't waste good life quality trying to be Mr Shining Star IT fucktard who know everything better than anyone else.

yeah of course, it will work just fine. Disadvantages are the bandwidth of the single link going to the switch may get saturated. I take it this is just for routing VLAN's, have to also ask the question why you need VLAN's for a 4 person office?

flamer.

Reply to
AN

Then a router-on-a-stick configuration will be fine for you. :)

There's also one thing you can do with that configuration that you would not achieve with a layer3 switch: traffic analisys based on netflow.

Reply to
Chino

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.