Is possible Pix + Netflow stadistics?

Hi there! I've heard about Netflow for Cisco Routers, and I heard it's quite a good utility to manage a network use.

I want to know if there is any utility that permits making stadistics of wich ip addresses are using more the network and what protocols are them using in a device such as cisco PIX 501or 515. Thanks and regards

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

The PIX 501 is currently restricted to run 6.x software. The PIX 515 can run 6.x or 7.0 or 7.1 software. The monitoring available with 7.0 and 7.1 is more advanced than for 6.x, but I have not examined the differences as yet. I do recall, though, that there is no equivilent to netflow for PIX 6.x or PIX 7.0.

For PIX 6.x, if you are trying to track by anything finer-grained than total traffic on the [logical] interface, then your only option is to set up logging to a syslog server, and to use some program that analyses the syslog output. The two major limitations on that are: 1) that it has no way to provide you with information about current bandwidth usage through syslog (but snmp can give overall bandwidth usage); and 2) that throughput estimates cannot be made for connections until the connection closes and the final connection time and byte-count are written out. The byte counts are not broken down by direction, unfortunately.

For sample source to do a traffic volume analysis of a PIX 6.x log, see

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

jakemichaelwilson had written this in response to

formatting link
: You can get NetFlow from the ASA (formally PIX). Here is a good blog on the subject:
formatting link

Jake Michael Wils> Hi there! I've heard about Netflow for Cisco Routers, and I heard

Reply to
jakemichaelwilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.