Is it possible to base QOS on VLAN alone?

I am installing a 4507R as my core with 3750G as my distribution. Is it possible to take a VLAN for a particular department and give it priority over all other vlans (QOS)?

Thanks

Reply to
rjmnyc
Loading thread data ...

If the VLAN for that deparment has a certain IP subnet associated with it, you can use layer 3 QoS to give priority to traffic to and from that subnet.

At layer 2, you can define a QoS policy that prioritizes frames that arrive on the ports assigned to that particular VLAN.

Reply to
Mark Williams

I don't know what it means but we have:

4510R

interface GigabitEthernet3/7 ... qos vlan-based ...

Reply to
anybody43

It means that the physical port GE3/7 will use the layer 3 policy define for the vlan interface that GE3/7 is in.

For example

interface GigabitEthernet3/7 switchport access vlan 2 qos vlan-based . . interface vlan 2 service-policy output Policy10

Packets exiting GE3/7 will be classified and queued according to the policy Policy10.

Reply to
Mark Williams

Note that QoS at layer 3 (CBFWQ) only helps at times off congestion, and even PQ at gig speeds is fairly useless. Are you ports dropping packets on egress due to congestion ?

I think you should be looking at 'marking DSCP' at the edge, so the egress queing applied to the bottle necks or lower speed LAN/WAN services in you network.

Reply to
jay

Yes, the vlan has a specific subnet associated with it. The reason I asked is because we extend our phone system over a metro area network using a device called a Nortel Remote Office which converts analog phone wires to IP and then back again at the other end. So, it is not really VOIP, more like data, but I still need to make sure it gets priority. Thanks!

Mark Williams wrote:

Reply to
rjmnyc

Hello

I posted the question because we use a device (Nortel Remote Office) to extend our analog phones over a metro area network by converting the analog lines into IP and then back again. Everything works fine right now but we are replacing our ATM network with a Gig-E network and I want to make sure that our phones are not negatively impacted by this change because this.

Thanks

Reply to
rjmnyc

Hi, if you have GiG between the Nortel RO's, and each a single device in a VLAN - you will be fine. The layer 2 marking/CoS queuing is where phones and PC share a 10/100 port. To be sure, use layer 2 CoS marking on the port the RO is connected. By default, the switch will WRR (depending on switch) as the voice frames will have Layer 2 Priority. You should be looking at LLQ (Strict priority )and CBWFQ for Layer 3 QoS.

Plenty stuff on cisco if you keen -

formatting link

Reply to
jay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.