Is a router needed?

Simple question - do I need a router for a home network?

If I have a PIX firewall with the outside interface connected directly to a cable modem (i.e. ip address dhcp setroute) and the inside interface connected to a switch/hub. Would that configuration work? Or would I need a router between the pix and cable modem: i.e.

Internet ----> Cable Modem ----> Pix 515 ----> Switch/Hub (is this a valid configuration)

or would I need

Internet -----> Cable Modem ----> Router ------> PIX 515 -----> Switch/Hub

As an aside: when configuring a route the Gateway IP is required, for the top configuration (if valid) would I put the IP address of the PIX as th Gateway IP (with the IP of the cable modem being dynamic)? In the second scenario I guess I would put the IP address of the Router.

Thanks

Cisco Newbie

Reply to
Cisco Newbie
Loading thread data ...

You do not need a router in your setup. The PIX 501 will do the same things regular broadband routers do. Actually the PIX 501 will provide better security protection a plain router does (with appropriate configuration). But from another hand it has some limitations - for example, if you want to have wireless setup in your house, you will need another wireless router or access point. Also PIX firewalls are more complicated from the configuration standpoint. If you already have it, and if you want to spend some time to learn it - it's good choice. If you are just planing to get it - do some more research, what you can get for the same money...

Good luck,

Mike

formatting link

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

No need for a router in your scenario.

Yes, the default gateway for the computers connected to the switch is the ip addresse of the Pix inside interface.

No, the default gateway must have an ip address of the same network as the computers. So again it is the ip address of the Pix inside interface.

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.