IP SLA or RTR.

Has anyone got involved with IP SLA (formerly known as RTR)?

I went down all the option of the IP SLA "section" and what I have understood is that you can configure many kind of "tests" (SLA activities) to run and of course you can define when to run those test and also you can group many of them into one group.

What I'm missing is about the reaction. I saw that on occuring SLA defined condition you can perform either a SNMP trap shipping or a trigger action taking or both.

Both the test activity and the action to be taken can be choose from the same set of activity (quite big and good for many needs) but since one guy said I can use RTR (or IP SLA if you run newer IOS images) in order to take some action on the routing table, I don't know how to accoplish my target.

I'm trying to use SLA to set an alternative path in case of the failure of the main one. Have I got the wrong direction at all or there is something I haven't still understood?

The reason why I'm investigating this topic is for I can not use OSPF or EIGRP since the routers where I should set them up are not managed by me. So I must follow the way "if the other side responds you using a path, leave things as they are otherwise choose an alternative path"

TIA Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Hi Alex,

We used ip SLA to set the next hop of our traffic.

In biref we had 2 x routers, one for critical + 1 for non-critical traffic. All traffic was sent via the non ciritcal(best path via OSPF), unless it matched the route map. In this case it was forced over the critical link.

Example:

ip sla monitor 1 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 172.31.16.1 (GRE Tunnel endpoint) ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 rtr 1 reachability

route-map Critical-Data permit 1 match ip address XYZ-Critical set ip precedence flash-override set ip next-hop verify-availability 172.31.16.1 10 track 1 (GRE Tunnel endpoint)

NB We were managing the routers at either end.

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.