IP Address Conflict.

I'm getting a broadcast of an IP Address Conflict, but several machines are reporting the same MAC address that are part of this message. I've searched our arp tables on linux and have multiple entries of ip addresses that are different, but the mac addresses are the same, and when I go to the machine, the mac address is entirely different.

Now it looks like the mac address that is linked to multiple ips in the arp table all point to the Cisco router, how can I fix this to correct the mac addresses, and shouldn't this fix the ip address conflict message?

The error message isn't preventing any users to access the network. It's just a broadcast message.

Thanks,

--tj

Reply to
techjohnny
Loading thread data ...

Is there proxy arp enabled in your Cisco router? And too wide subnet mask in your workstations?

JV

Reply to
Juki

Well, we have a subnet at 10.1.10.0/255.0.0.0 and

10.3.10.0/255.255.255.0, but this has been in place for a couple years now without any problems, but just recently this message starting occurring.

--tj

Reply to
techjohnny

It looks like it was an actually conflict. Strange that the message never showed up on the computer, but on a different subnet than the machine was on.

Thanks,

--tj

Reply to
techjohnny

This continues.

I'm now running ARPWATCH. It is detecting several IP ADDRESSES as flip flop. I'm hoping somebody can help recognize why all these addresses are flip flopping? The machine that arp flip flops creates a conflict with the Cisco router.

The machine's HW ether flip flops and changes to the MAC address of the Cisco router that separates the two subnets.

10.0.0.0/8 and 10.3.10.0/24

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

--tj

Reply to
techjohnny

Poor design there I'm afraid, If those subnets are on the same router, and it's a Cisco, the Cisco will be OK, but end systems may be a little unpredictable, as one of your subnets falls *within* the other. A /8 is also insanely large. Make it smaller. A lot smaller.

That does give the obvious opportunity for say, 10.3.10.42 to be allocated on both sides. The Cisco will send any traffic for it to the interface with

10.3.10.0/24 though, not to 10.0.0.0/8. Any device on 10.0.0.0/8 will think it is local and will ARP for it rather than using the gateway.

Is there only the one Cisco router? Are you using anything like HSRP or GLBP? I would imagine GLBP would confuse something like arpwatch!

Reply to
Paul Matthews

This started after on the end stations moved from the old subnet

10.0.0.0/8 to the new subnet 10.3.10.0/24. This is a Windows XP workstation that included an ip printer.

--tj

Reply to
techjohnny

You probably have something with the wrong address in the wrong place - is there any bridging between the subnets at all?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.