IOS version number (train)

A 3550 at work is running IOS 12.2(25)SEE2. What does the SEE2 refer to?

Software Advisor has options for 12.2SEE, 12.2SEA, and 12.2SE trains but I can't figure out how to determine the differences. Can someone enlighten me?

Reply to
bobneworleans
Loading thread data ...

If I recall correctly;

SE is a random (ish) string indication the train. Other randon strings may exist indicating differing features.

The last A, B, C, ... indicates later versions of "SE". Often features and bugs.

The last digit if present indicates the post release rebuild number. This is sort of an emergency patch thingy. No attempt at feature changes, was never intended to be needed.

On these switches only one train seems to be in active development at a time.

Above is all in addition to the usual xx.yy(zz) Major version, minor-er version(minor-est version)

You can check the diffrences on the feature Navigator.

formatting link
- well if the switch software is included in it you will be able to. Not sure. Otherwise release notes.

Unless you are doing something particularly esoteric the probability is that any recent release will work fine.

Reply to
bod43

There is nothing on CCO other than SE so I would use

12.2.44-SE6(ED) after perhaps checking for likely bugs, unless I was doing an enterprise level deployment in which case more checking and testing would be in order.
Reply to
bod43

Thought I had put this in my forst post - sorry.

formatting link

Reply to
bod43

The 3rd subrev of the 12.2(25) release on the SEE train. (ie. SEE, SEE1, SEE2) Itself, a derivation of the SE train (ie. SEA, SEB, SEC, SED, SEE).

Later branched back into the regular SE train.

You have to read the release notes.

formatting link
Cisco will keep going on a branch until its official retirement, even if they branched out for something special.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for all the replies. I need to create a dot1q trunk with a Nortel L2/3 Ethernet Switch Module "In our testing, the Cisco implementation of MSTP would only work with other Cisco products and produced undesirable results when connected to other vendors=92 products. The Ethereal packet decoder was unable to completely decode the BPDUs sent by the Cisco switches. After our testing was completed, we learned that this is remedied in IOS version 12.2(25)SEC on the Cisco 3750. We assume that similarly numbered versions on other platforms will also include this fix."

So I guess the key question that remains for me is:

1) Can I be certain that my image (SEE2 train) includes the fix that was first added in the SEC train for the same IOS version number?
Reply to
bobneworleans

~ > >A 3550 at work is running IOS 12.2(25)SEE2.  What does the SEE2 refer

~ Thanks for all the replies. I need to create a dot1q trunk with a ~ Nortel L2/3 Ethernet Switch Module in an IBM BladeCenter. The ~ documentation says: ~ ~ "In our testing, the Cisco implementation of MSTP would only work with ~ other ~ Cisco products and produced undesirable results when connected to ~ other vendors? ~ products. The Ethereal packet decoder was unable to completely decode ~ the BPDUs sent ~ by the Cisco switches. After our testing was completed, we learned ~ that this is remedied in ~ IOS version 12.2(25)SEC on the Cisco 3750. We assume that similarly ~ numbered versions ~ on other platforms will also include this fix." ~ ~ So I guess the key question that remains for me is: ~ 1) Can I be certain that my image (SEE2 train) includes the fix that ~ was first added in the SEC train for the same IOS version number?

Yes, you can infer from the fact that a given fix of interest (in this case, it appears that Nortel is talking about 802.1s-2002 standard MSTP) is present in 12.2(25)SEC, that the fix is also present in any release

12.2(x)SEyn, where x is >= 25, y is >= 'C', and n is any value.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thanks for the confirmation. Bob

Reply to
bobneworleans

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.