ios downloads

Ive just purchased a Cisco 851 router ... does this entitle me to download updated ios? do I need to obtain some sort of details from my supplier in order to access the software?

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

jas0n schrieb:

Depends on what kind of service you've bought. Some resellers bundle a Smartnet contract with the hardware.

--> Ask your reseller.

But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different IOS images at the moment.

Reply to
Uli Link

ok, so I may have to buy a contract from the look of it, I cant speak to my supplier until monday.

so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

Reply to
jas0n

:> But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different :> IOS images at the moment.

:so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

The Product Description page for the 851 does say that it supports WFQ, PBR, per-VC queuing, and per-VC traffic shaping.

formatting link
The Feature Navigator thinks WFQ is supported on the 871 but not the

851. The Feature Navigator is, though, almost always out of date with respect to the details of new products.

I don't have an 851 to do any testing with.

It isn't really very many QoS features that are listed as being supported. Which one(s) did you try to invoke?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

formatting link

Using the sdm gui ... when I click on the qos section it comes up and tells me the current image does not support qos.

Im a complete newbie to cisco and havent even started looking at ios yet so I only have the sdm to go by.

Reply to
jas0n

In article , jas0n wrote: :> :so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not :> :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

:Using the sdm gui ... when I click on the qos section it comes up and :tells me the current image does not support qos.

The cross-comparision between the 870 and 850 indicates that the 850 supports only WFQ as a QoS feature. The two "per-VC" features in the product literature only apply to ATM, which your 851 does not support (857 has it.) The only reference in the SDM 2.1.1 reference to WFQ has to do with CBWFQ (Class Based Weighted Fair Queue), which the 850 do not support. Thus, there is no QoS feature on the 851 that the SDM knowns how to configure.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

ok ... thanks for that - the following was in the literature for 850=20 series - are you saying the first two I could make use of (using ios)=20 but the last two would apply only to the 857? :-

Quality of Service (QoS) Features =B7 Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ) =B7 Policy-based routing (PBR) =B7 Per-VC queuing =B7 Per-VC traffic shaping

Reply to
jas0n

In article , jas0n wrote: :ok ... thanks for that - the following was in the literature for 850=20 :series - are you saying the first two I could make use of (using ios)=20 :but the last two would apply only to the 857? :-

:Quality of Service (QoS) :Features :Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ) :Policy-based routing (PBR) :Per-VC queuing :Per-VC traffic shaping

Right, Per-VC requires an ATM card that your 851 does not support. PBR -probably- shows up in the SDM under something other than "QoS" -- "Routing" perhaps. WFQ is the default on interfaces at E1 speeds or below, but I don't recall that the 851 has any interface that slow, so you would have to look for a way to activate it under IOS.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.