iBGP Routing Question

I am hoping someone can shed some light on why this route is not being advertised via iBGP between two routers.

The layout is as follows (hopefully the drawing will format right): AS 1 (0.0.0.0) | \\ | -------------------- AS 2 | | | | | AS 3 (WEST) ----AS 3 (EAST)

Summary: AS 1 is advertising 0.0.0.0 to AS 2 and AS 3. AS 3 WEST router connected to AS 2 router receives the 0.0.0.0 via AS PATH 2, 1 AS 3 EAST router connected to AS 1 router received the 0.0.0.0 via AS PATH 1

In the BGP table for the AS 3 WEST router shows both of the routes

0.0.0.0 via AS 1 0.0.0.0 via AS 2, 1

In the BGP table for the AS 3 EAST router we only see

0.0.0.0 via AS 1

Question: Why in the bgp table for AS 3 EAST wouldn't we also see the route

0.0.0.0 via AS 2, 1.

When checking the advertised routes from AS 3 WEST to AS 3 EAST its not being advertised. There is absolutely no route filtering happening between the iBGP routers.

The only thing I can think of is that AS 3 WEST sees the better path from AS 3 EAST and decides not to send its 0.0.0.0 route to AS 3 EAST.

My expectation would be that both "sh ip bgp" on each router would have listed the 0.0.0.0 route, but that clearly is not the case in my lab.

Amy.

Reply to
amyl
Loading thread data ...

The picture doesn't quite match up to the wording, but here's a shot at answering:

An 'x' router may have multiple pathways that it has learned to consider, but that 'x' router will advertise only the route that it is USING to other routers. It will not advertise the pathways that have not been selected as "best."

If an 'x' router is using a path through a "y" neighbor, then the "x" router will not advertise that path to the "y" neighbor. The "x" router will advertise that path to other neighbors, but not the neighbor that is providing the pathway itself.

Make sense ?

-ja

Reply to
John Agosta

That makes absolute sense and that was what I was thinking.

Thanks Amy

Reply to
amyl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.