How to switch to catalyst cli from msfc prompt?

I've been trying to find this answer for the past two hours and Cisco's documentation SUCKS!

I have a 6500 switch operating in hybrid mode. (Whoever thought a hybrid mode was a good idea should be shot. All of the idiocies of both operating systems and none of the benefits.)

Anyways, When I telnet to the switch I get the MSFC CLI first and not the CatOS CLI that ALL of the Cisco documentation says you should get first.

It's easy to find how to access the MSFC CLI from the CatOS CLI. (session 15 from privileged mode, exit with ^C^C^C.)

The bitch is going the other way... When I'm in the MSFC CLI how do I call up the CatOS CLI so that I can configure/reconfigure VLAN stuff????

And trust me... If I could get my hands on a IOS image I'd take this thing out of hybrid mode in an instant just because this problem has wasted so much of my time.

Reply to
druberego
Loading thread data ...

On 09.07.2006 01:38 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Connect a terminal to the console port and assign an IP adress to interface sc0. E.g.

set interface sc0 100 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 192.168.0.255 set interface sc0 up

generic

set interface sc0

Then telnet to 192.168.0.1

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Greetings,

I assume you are trying to telnet to the 6500 and the IP address you are using is on the msfc. You need an IP address on the sc0 port to get to the Catos side of the box. You may need to use a Console cable to set this up.

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Excellent, Thank you!

can the IP on the sc0 interface be on the same subnet as an IP assigned to say vlan2, or any other vlan on the switch, or does sc0 have to be it's own subnet?

- Jeff

Arnold Nipper wrote:

Reply to
druberego

Ok.

I hooked up a serial console and did set interface sc0 172.16.100.1 255.255.255.0 set interface sc0 up

However, from the MSFC ping 172.16.100.1 can't see that interface. (success rate = 0%)

What gives? Why can't I telnet or ping the sc0 interface from anywhere other than within the CatOS itself???

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
druberego

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.