how to find original image name?

Hello!

While doing a sw inventory I came across a WS-C2924-XL that some smart (sic) guy upgraded using a file with a different filename than the Cisco one. What sho vers says is

Copyright (c) 1986-1903 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 17-Jul-03 12:35 by antonino Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0020E2E0

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 6 hours, 32 minutes System restarted by reload System image file is "flash:new.bin", cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with

4096K/640K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 0x07, with hardware revision 0x00 Last reset from warm-reset

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software Cluster member switch capable

24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

Is there a way to recover the original name such as c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-

TIA

/CM

Reply to
Capitan Mutanda
Loading thread data ...

A little bit long but you can perform hash calculations on yours and compare it against those of all of the Cisco images you think are candidates to reside on your switch. Hopefully not all the Cisco images for your switch.

Sorry :-(

Reply to
AM

connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if the output of "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

Reply to
Merv

I just tried/found and alternative

strings image.bin

and you get interesting info

CW_BEGIN$ CW_FAMILY$ CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$ CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$ CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$ CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$ CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$ CW_MEDIA$RAM$ CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$

many a show memory could do the same....

/CM

Reply to
Capitan Mutanda

Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines missing.

I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the output from the first IOS device that I came across.

B1>sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) TAC Support:

formatting link
(c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006 System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"

You can see that the image name corresponds closely with version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just indicates that the image is compressed.

(C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4 flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin

Please go back and check your show ver output. I have never seen a cisco device that did not correctly report the software version that was running.

Reply to
Bod43

Could be a maintenance release to fix a certaing bug sent by TAC.

I had a release called something like that for a 3845 a few months back. Notice the date also says 1903 :-)

James

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
James

I guess it could be buggy software. I think that the version gets displayed on the console during bootup and it is also available via snmp.

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1

Might be worth a try.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.