homerun uplinks

I have a bunch of 4503s with single fiber uplink to a core 4506 with the WS-X4306-GB.

Currently on a basic layer 2. Is there anything I need to configure on these uplink ports on both the 4503 and the 4506?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

Your questions (and this appears to be the third time posting essentially the same one) have not had enough information for us to figure out what you want to *do*.

It is often unnecessary to configure anything specific for "uplinks". Just ensure that you haven't turned -off- spanning tree for the links. You can be relatively sure that you will not accidently swap a fiber and a random UTP to a host ;-) but this is a situation where setting spanning tree to 'portfast' might not help, as the switch on the other end of the fiber -is- going to start sending you BPDU so you are going to be pushed into spanning tree negotiations anyhow. But I don't think portfast would hurt.

Beyond that... it wouldn't hurt to start planning your VLANs and change the uplinks into vlan trunks. Unless you have more switches than I've been understanding, you don't appear likely to be wanting VMPS (for dynamic remote VLAN management), but you might start getting into that if you start implementing

802.1x security at some point.

Are the uplinks at gigabit, as suggested by the -GB extension to the card name? If so then autonegotiation is -mandatory- for gigabit so there is no use in hardcoding speed and duplex like you might do for a 100 Mb/s fiber.

Once your needs evolve, you might find it useful to configure QoS at some point.

On our network at work, about 325 active hosts, we haven't needed QoS for anything yet... but every year, HQ or various internal people make noises about how we're going to put in video to the desktop or VOIP, and somehow it not only never gets funded but we aren't even ever asked to research or spec it out.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.