Catalyst cards and supervisors.

I'm choosing the line cards for a Catalyst 4506. I want to install a non powered 48 ports module and 2 cards with PoE. Looking at the card WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 Cisco says

"IEEE 803.3x flow control" and "Bandwidth is allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group"

Does anyone know what that means? And... how many MB of RAM can I put on a 4506? Moreover, I saw the card

WS-X4248-FE-SFP= (Catalyst 4500 48-Port 100BASE-X (SFPs Optional))

What does the 100BASE-X stand for? I haven't understood whether SFP can accept both Ethernet plugs and SFP plugs.

TIA

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Each 4506 linecard has 6 x 1GB links to the switch fabric. So a 48 port card has ports 1 - 8 hard wired to one link etc. The only exception is the SE whose two ports each have 1G to the backplane and are uncontended.

both Ethernet plugs and SFP plugs.

100 M Ethernet [One Hundred]. You don't want it I guess.

SFP sockets were discussed by me recently here. "anybody43".

Reply to
Bod43

-X stands for unknown, plug something in to have it become what you plugin.

Ie. if you want -FX, plug in a FX SFP. If you need LX10, plug in an LX10 SFP. Thus, you'll be buying a whole bagful of SFPs as well.

There's a picture of one here

formatting link
Its designed for people doing alot of mixed media 100-Mbps fiber connections.

You can buy copper SFP parts (not sure if they have any that works on this card), but its alot more espensive than just buying the stock WS-X4148-RJ line card.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.