vlans and cisco 4500s

I got some cisco 4503s that home run to a 4506. From the 4506 it goes to the internet. We are currently on layer 2.

What do I need to do to configure each 4503 on separate vlans. (each 4503 is on a different floor)

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

Don't you set up the vlans on the 4506 and then connect the 4503's to each vlan?

Reply to
gene martinez

Please post:-

sh ver sh mod

from the 4503 and 4506.

Are you doing dhcp? How are you doing DNS?

This is quite a big question but if you post the information we will see what we can do.

Reply to
anybody43

ok I actually havent got the switches yet. They are coming. But all the 4503 will home run to the 4506 with a 18port GGIC Module. The DHCP server is outside the network. DNS also. I have a block of ips assigned to me. But within that block of ips i want to do my on vlans.

I guess what i want to do is have each GBIC on the 4506 (which goes to each floor) on a separate vlan. So What do i do?

Reply to
tony

OK, what Supervisor engines are you getting?

Post part numbers if you have them?

Reply to
anybody43

ok they all have WS-X4013+

Catalyst 4500 Supervisor II-Plus (IOS), 2GE, Console (RJ-45)

For the main 4506

It has thee same supervosor engine and this

WS-X4306-GB

Thanks!

Catalyst 4500 Supervisor II-Plus (IOS), 2GE,Console(RJ-45)

Reply to
tony

Reply to
tony

They did ask what version of code, but shouldn't matter too much for IOS.

The posted config guide covers it pretty well..

formatting link
switchport access vlan 3

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug,

You have a couple of choices. You could configure VTP between the boxes with the 4506 as the server and the 4503 as the clients. Once you do this you can create the vlans you want in the 4506s and they will propagate to the 4503s. In the 4503s you configure the interface vlans to create the inter vlan routing you want and assigned one interface on the 4506 as the default GW for each 4503s. By the way the connection between the 4506 and the 4503s can be configured as trunk connections. Hope this helps.

Camilo

Doug Mc> >Help me please!!

formatting link

Reply to
Camilo

formatting link
>

Sorry for the delay, this is usenet!

Well I did a little research on the cards and they do L3 in hardware. (I think I fell asleep before posting:-). Good.

Use one or more VLANs per 4503 and keep each vlan isolated to a single 4503 unless you have dual connected hosts (e.g. servers) and wish to conenct to more than one. Use seperate VLANs for those.

Suggest you configure trunking on the uplinks even if you only want one VLAN today since that will make it easier in future.

I guess that you actually want a sample config or parts of but I don't have time for that at present.

My present view is that VLANs are cheap, keep them smallish. Flooded unicasts are expensive - Sorry, latter will be over your head I guess but others may read this too.

Forget the VTP nonsense - VTP mode transparent is your friend. Either your netowrk is too small to need VTP or too important to trust that no-one will one day wander in with a new switch and blow the whole thing away. Poof alakazamm - no more network.

Reply to
Bod43

Actually, VTP is not that dangerous if you know what you are doing. When you insert a new switch in the network you just have to reset its revision so it is not higher than the current switches in the network. Other choice would be to configure them initially using VTP in server/client mode and once they are set up you change them to transparent.

Camilo

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

formatting link
> >

Reply to
Camilo

So All I gotta do is create the vlans on the main core switch? The rest will be vtp clients?

formatting link
> > >

Reply to
tony

formatting link
>> > >

Reply to
tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.