high availability Internet connection

Hello to all!

I have the following problem: I have two Internet connections, one is just for backup and the other one is active. I want when the active one goes "down", the other one to kick in. I thought of HSRP or VRRP but this won`t solve my problem because the link never goes down ... sometimes the ISP network goes down somewhere and only the ISP network is available. I can implement a solution on a variety of routers / PIX firewalls / servers.

Do you have any solutions that you think might work or are you currently using one successfully ? Please let me know

-- Andrew S.

Reply to
solo.entity
Loading thread data ...

Look at SAA Policy based routing. I think that Cisco have changed the name of it (again?). Someone will be along in a minute with the new name.

This lets you ping something and do routing depending on the results.

I think you can also influence HSRP priorities based on ping or other probe results.

This will fix outbound traffic if you are doing NAT.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
formatting link
Support for Multiple Tracking Options

Reply to
Bod43

You should be able to use EIGRP or BGP but you would have to coordinate your config with your provider(s). Not sure if they would charge extra for this... If you have static routing and have your hands on a Sidewinder firewall you can now configure default route failover..

Reply to
travisnathanwright

google for "Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking"

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.