HSRP + Complete Router Failover

Silly question perhaps, but I've not found a clear explanation for a scenario like this:

I have two 1811 routers, "backup" and "primary". Each router has 5 interfaces: Fast0, Fast1, VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3. With the exception of the physical IP addresses on the 5 interfaces above, the routers are identically configured. When "active", the "primary" 1811 terminates ca. 10 VPN tunnels via an HSRP virtual IP address.

Since I have a network off of each interface, I'd like to run HSRP on each interface and then, if ANY interface goes down, I want the "primary" router to fail-over *completely* to the "backup" router.

What is happening now, with HSRP, is that 1 interface goes down and that interface fails over to the other router, but the entire router doesn't fail over. Since, for example, the VPN tunnels are still terminated on the "primary router", traffic arriving at the "backup" router's newly active interface cannot find its way to the tunnels which are still active on the "primary" router.

In a nutshell, when a single interface on the "primary" router fails, I want the "primary" router to completely fail-over (i.e. *all* interfaces go to standby) to the "backup" (all interfaces go active) router until the failed interface router comes back online.

When the "failed" interface on the "primary" router comes back online, the the "primary" router should re-establish itself as active.

Reply to
philbo30
Loading thread data ...

here is something to read

formatting link
Roman Nakhmanson

Reply to
nakhmanson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.