Help, I am getting BOOT ERR: bad code image header (Foundry FastIron)

I am not able to get my switch to boot after I rebooted it. I am getting BOOT ERR: bad code image header on my FastIron Edge 4802-POE. The "boot Monitor" is all that I am getting. My Flash/MEM files are gone.

I do have a backup (woot) but I do not know how to get it back to the switch.

Anyone have any advice? I have 3CDeamon TFTP v2.0 loaded on my system but I can't get the switch to take an IP (cause I do not think I am doing it right) so I can copy it over

Any one? ~I AM a Noob

Reply to
Noob
Loading thread data ...

In case you haven't guessed from the newsgroup name, this is a Cisco oriented newsgroup.

If you're going to ask off topic questions at least have the courtesy to identify it as such in the Subject: line.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

In the cisco world, you can use xmodem copy over your serial console, or on the newer equipment, there is tftp functionality. If you do want to do the tftp, you need to make sure ports are in same vlan (if you can even get to that part of the config), and ensure IPs and masks match the same subnet. You may even want to look up documentation on your switch make/model, as Cisco has thorough documentation for these type of situations, and I can't imagine any major network equipment vendor not having the same for these critical situations. If you can go the xmodem route, it will take a heck of a lot longer to copy, but itll do the job of getting your code on the device.

Reply to
Trendkill

Foundry Networks switches normally have dual flash. Did you try to type "boot secondary" from boot monitor?

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Thank you for the feedback

1. I thought that I did say it was not a Cisco in the subject with "Foundry FastIron". I am sorry if I was not clear.

1. I have tired to assign an IP to the switch but it attempts to boot via bootp and fails since there is no IP. I am not able to connect to any other device till i assign an IP so getting the configs copied is not an option.

2. Both the Primary and the secondary flash are blank. So i am not able to boot off of either.

I was able to find out that if I can not assign an IP through the boot monitor then there is something wrong with the flash and it needs to be replaced. Sooooo I have gone the route of opening a support case with Foundry and getting this one repaired. I was hoping for a quick fix since this is a production switch.

Again thank you for the help on this issue and sorry if I was not clear

Reply to
Noob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.