Thank Goodness for Backups

I use the 2004 Contractor Edition of Quickbooks for all my inhouse accounting. It works great. I also run a network drive for backups. Mostly its so I can access technical manuals from anywhere, but I also backup my accounting onto it.

Yesterday my main accounting computer crashed. Actually I am sure its just a Windows error as I can boot with one of my special tools CDs and explore the file structure. Windows just keeps rebooting over and over. Anyway, I grabbed a spare computer off the shelf, loaded my Quickbooks, and restored from my backup in less than 20 minutes. I was able to invoice the jobs I needed to, check data, and do a bank deposit, and I was good to go. I bought a couple reconditioned XP Pro work stations on the cheap last year for spares and front office work stations when I realized how much Vista sucks, and that some of my critical applications won't run on Vista.

No I just need to figure out how to get this "new machine" configured for my dual head monitor card.

I have my Quickbooks setup to do an on drive backup everytime it shuts down, and a daily early AM backup to my network drive. Its a standalone network drive, although I imagine if you have enough faith in Windows you could just use another PC for it, and set it to auto reboot every day to prevent the Windows memory error from locking it up. I would sure like to figure out how to get that autobackup on shutdown to be rotued to my network drive or another external drive, but there does not seem to be anyplace to configure that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Bob,

Congrats on the backup save. Good job.

Now to answer the last portion of your post. Depending upon your specific desire this may work for you or not........................

I use

formatting link
and it works great.

And the best part is that it's FREE!!!!

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I'll check it out. Actually I was thinking of something simpler. Start Quickbooks with a script, and have the script execute file copy upon exiting QuickBooks. Then delete all my shortcuts and replace them with short cuts to the script. Nothing else is critical, but having backups of the most current financial data is.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

FWIW for a Free program it has a whole lot of features that I found very useful. I have not looked into the 'Pro' version but just thinking about it I am hard pressed to think what else it could do better than the free version.

I agree the financial data is most important but I am using the program to move my word, excel, drawing files to another drive in another pc on the network. Also when I plug in a 4 gig stick drive into the USB port it automatically write my QBPro DB file to it with no compression.

Simple and slick.

Check it out.

Good luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.