German T-Com DSLAM-Update breaks 836 ?

Hi,

at a presentation, we received information from a german Telekom person, and confirmed from a Cisco person also present, that a nationwide DSLAM update (though progressing only slowly) will cause problems with all current 836 routers, preventing them from being able to connect. As this DSLAM update is done to extend the range for the DSL connections, it will be rolled out first in areas where the availability of DSL is low at the moment.

Anyway, the Cisco guy present said it was a problem of the 836, and that a ticket has been opened, no fix available yet.

I have checked with our cisco reseller, as well as a Cisco contact, both haven't heard of that problem yet.

As 836 routers are the main routers we use for our customers (and are and have been recommending due to stability and quality), we are a bit worried of the day when some of our main customer regions are upgraded and suddenly several dozens of customers are left without Internet ...

Has anybody else heard of this, and could even name the ticket# under which this is being worked on by Cisco, as we would like to keep an eye on any progress and especially fixes ...

Thanks, -gg

Reply to
Garry
Loading thread data ...

We manage almost 2000 836's, and these have gone through several major upgrades at our ADSL providers (Netherlands: KPN, BBned) in the last couple of years, including DSLAM upgrades from Cisco to Alcatel and ADSL2+ upgrades. Only some minor incidents were encountered so far.

Reply to
Joop van der Velden

Hi,

our company is managing a considerable number of 836 all accross germany. So far we have not encountered such a problem nor have we heard of such a DSLAM-upgrade. Can you specify what exactly should be updated? As far as I know, T-Com has DSLAMs from Siemens and ECI - which vendor is affected? There are many thousands 836 in the field in Germany; if a large number of them would not run anymore, I guess we`d have heard of that already.

If you have a DSL line which is on the margin (concerning signal/noise or attenuation), the 836 will give up probably earlier than other devices like the external DSL modems from Siemens. In such cases you can use the 836 together with the external modem (speak PPPoE on the Ethernet-Port).

However, these are isolated cases which do not happen too often, maybe less than 1 percent of the installations. If you have such a case, you'll normally know during installation... once you got the router running on the dsl-line, it usually stays like that.

Regards, Axel

Reply to
Axel Gärtner

I wasn't at the presentation in person, I'm still waiting for some details, maybe I can get ahold of the Telekom guy Monday ... and yes, at the moment only very few DSLAMs have been updated, mainly in regions where there was no or little DSL coverage to begin with, so existing (working) connections will most likely not have been affected ...

Haven't tried that before -- does that work with the older 12MB-flash

836? I know the new ones we just received a batch of now have some changes in software (dunno whether in HW too), was going to play around with them a bit to see what all we could do with them ;)

I know, why else would we use Cisco? ;)

Anyway, I'll post details once I get any more ... :)

-gg

Reply to
Garry

Garry,

well, I would be interested in any information on that issue...

[external DSL modem...]

yes, speaking PPPoE works with all IOS versions, even the very old ones which fit in 8MB. If you use a recent IOS (fits still in 12MB) you can use the "DMZ-Port-Feature", which gives you two independent Ethernet-Ports... which is nicer, although not necessary.

Using an external DSL-modem is not only necessary if the 836 won't sync, but also if you want to use SDSL, since T-Com offers SDSL only together with an external modem so far.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Gärtner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.