Forward WAN IP address from T1 to ethernet?

I currently have the following home network configuration:

A Sun Ultra 10 with one ethernet port on the motherboard and a Sun QFE board (4 ports), for 5 ethernet ports total, and a Cyclades PC-300/TE1 connected to my T1 line. The PC-300 has address 216.254.16.24, and my network is 64.81.187.64/27. The problem is that the driver for the PC-300 board sucks ass [1]. I want to ditch the PC-300 board, and pick up a used Cisco 2501 and CSU/DSU or equivalent on eBay, but I still want to use the Ultra 10 as the outgoing router for my network, so I'm thinking of a configuration like this:

------------ --------------

Reply to
Andy Shepard
Loading thread data ...

You can accomplish this with IP Unnumbered on the outside interface of the

2501. I believe that your ISP would need to configure their equipment for that as well.
Reply to
Scooby

I was under the impression that I could only apply ip unnumbered to a serial interface and have it assume the IP of a corresponding ethernet interface, so with this method the ethernet interface of the 2501 would have my WAN IP rather than the outward-facing interface of the Ultra

Reply to
Andy Shepard

That is probably true. I was under the impression that you were going to use the 2501 for the T1 interface as well. If you are routing all traffic to the 2501, why not juse use that for the T1 interface as well?

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.