For PIM-SM what happen if the RD failed

Is there any failover function if RP failed? Aer there any solution with or without csico support.

Thanks, st

Reply to
aaabbb16
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, should be RP.

Reply to
aaabbb16

Reply to
Thrill5

if you use PIM v2 with BSR you can have 2 or more RP candidates for a group (and BSRs since that also needs a backup)

BSR sorts out which RP is live for which groups at any one point.

however - you get a delay after an RP fails before everything notices and sorts out the replacement.

Yes - PIMv2 is standards based and seems to interwork with other manufacturers as well.

the only pain is all that autoRP announcement cisco stuff that i cannot turn off even though i am not using the protocol.....

Reply to
stephen

It still not clear to me. After config. two more C-RP and BSR and exchanged some info. between BSR and C-RPs,one of C-RP become to RP, Assume after running a while, this RP failed, Does other C-RPs do a hash again to replace the failed one? How about receiver side? those receiver still get the Mcast packets after a delay time. Is it true?

Reply to
aaabbb16

It still not clear to me. After config. two more C-RP and BSR and exchanged some info. between BSR and C-RPs,one of C-RP become to RP, Assume after running a while, this RP failed, Does other C-RPs do a hash again to replace the failed one?

- yes (actually every PIM router hashes to find the replacement - the BSR flooding makes sure they all get the same info)

How about receiver side? those receiver still get the Mcast packets after a delay time. Is it true?

- RP isnt involved in active traffic paths, only sorting out new ones, so although you "lose" the RP while converging the current sessions should carry on.

Reply to
stephen

=AB=E5=BC=95=E7=94=A8=E6=96=87=E5=AD=97 -

Is there any failover function if RP failed?

It still not clear to me. After config. two more C-RP and BSR and exchanged some info. between BSR and C-RPs,one of C-RP become to RP, Assume after running a while, this RP failed, Does other C-RPs do a hash again to replace the failed one?

- yes (actually every PIM router hashes to find the replacement - the BSR flooding makes sure they all get the same info)

-- It means PIM V2 can do RP failover. Someone does not agree it. Also, I dont see any books mention it. (just mention Anycast for this purpose and BSR can selected)

How about receiver side? those receiver still get the Mcast packets after a delay time. Is it true?

- RP isnt involved in active traffic paths, only sorting out new ones, so although you "lose" the RP while converging the current sessions should carry on.

-- because of using switchover (STP) function? Those receiver can not get Mcast if the RP dead if switchover does not enable. right?

Reply to
aaabbb16

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.