Example of Layer 2 VLAN

Hi folks,

I'm trying to configure a catalyst 3650 and need some help. I've got two vlans that I don't want to propagate or broadcast to other switches, so I need to configure layer 2 vlans. Can someone send me an example of how to do this?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

Just don't configure a layer-3 interface, or leave the layer-3 interface shutdown..

vlan 10,20 int FastEthernet 0/1 switchport access vlan 10 int FastEthernet 0/2 switchport access vlan 10 int FastEthernet 0/3 switchport access vlan 20 int FastEthernet 0/4 switchport access vlan 20 no int Vlan 10 no int Vlan 20

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Ah! It IS that simple....Thanks, Doug.

Reply to
Chris

If you have multiple switches in a network and need certain vlans contained to a group of switches, don't use VTP.

VTP would be configured in Transparent mode, and the switches local vlan database would only contain the vlans defined on that switch. This prevents other vlans from passing traffic on trunk links.

If vtp is in use, then configure vtp pruning, which prevents unwanted vlans to be propagated down the trunks.

Scott

formatting link

Chris wrote:

Reply to
xpresslearn.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.