enable 3500 snmp agent

Hello,

Have to give a demo tomorrow - switch has been power cycled and lost its IP and also the config for snmp agent. Managed to hack around and IP has come back . It only listening on port 23 and 80 tho. Please how to enable agent? So a mib-browser can walk the tree.

TIA

Syd

Reply to
sydneypuente
Loading thread data ...

The most basic would be

snmp-server community mycommunity

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks. snmp-server seems to be missing!

WV11BB-351#snmp-server community fred ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

show running .. snmp-server engineID local xxxxxxx snmp-server community xxxxx RW 2 snmp-server community xxxx RO 3 snmp-server community public RO snmp-server location Warehouse snmp-server contact xxxx xxx xxx snmp-server system-shutdown snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership snmp-server enable traps config snmp-server enable traps entity snmp-server enable traps hsrp snmp-server enable traps c2900 snmp-server enable traps mac-notification snmp-server enable traps vtp snmp-server enable traps cluster ...

strange! Any obvious explanation? TIA

Reply to
sydneypuente

Yes, its a configuration, not a command. You type commands into the basic prompt. You type configurations in config mode (ie. config term).

Umm, you were trying to type in a configuration in at the command promptÂ?

But, as your config shows, you already have SNMP configured and running on the box.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

yes I was trying to type a config in at the command prompt -silly me! It might be up and running but I dont get any response from a mib browser - and the only ports that are said to be open with an nmap scan are 23 and 80. Please any suggestions on what to do next?

Syd

Reply to
sydneypuente

You might have an interface access-list blocking the traffic. You *have* access lists 2 and 3 configured for some of your community strings.

Have you tried the community string - public

You will need routing configured for your traffic. Start with the basics:-) Can you ping or otherwise communicate with the router?

You might try debug snmp requests debug snmp packets to see if the traffic is reaching the router - and more.

Reply to
bod43

Thanks ! It works now - I set the community string to public and it works. No sure why tho. Thanks again!

Reply to
sydneypuente

The other community strings you listed have access restrictions by client ip address - if access-lists "2" or "3" are defined.

snmp-server community xxxxx RW 2 snmp-server community xxxx RO 3

sh access-list

will list them, or of course they will be in the config.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.