Does IOS have something like the ip-up and ip-down script in UNIX?

Does IOS support something like the ip-up and ip-down script of the UNIX PPP protocol?

I have two dialup links on a Cisco router and I would like to delete the routes on the first interface once the second one is up.

Floating statics don=B4t work because I need both links to dial at the same time (which they don=B4t when they have different administrative distances) - so both have to have the same administrative distance.

So an ip-up script would be great which would delete Serial0=B4s route once Serial1 came up so that all the traffic goes over Serial1.

Thank=B4s for any hint!

Mathias...

Reply to
mathias
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I have two dialup links on a Cisco router and I would like to delete :the routes on the first interface once the second one is up.

:Floating statics don't work because I need both links to dial at the :same time (which they don't when they have different administrative :distances) - so both have to have the same administrative distance.

:So an ip-up script would be great which would delete Serial0's route :once Serial1 came up so that all the traffic goes over Serial1.

I am not sure if I have the situation right:

You want both links to dial at the same time, perhaps to reduce the downtime -- but if Serial1 is able to make a connection, then you want it to be used in preference to Serial0 ?

If so, then I think you just -might- be able to do it with a combination of "dialer watch" and having routes with different distances imported in from the remote end, and having the Serial0 interface not be shut down suddenly but rather allowed to expire due to lack of traffic. But this is getting into obtruse configurations.

I suggest you examine the white papers at Vincent C. Jones' site,

formatting link
and consider buying his book, "High Availability Networking with Cisco". And you need some equipment to practice with -- he makes the configurations look simple, but it's about like studying for an exam in physics: simple looking solutions that you have to study and study and study to really understand -how- they work.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter Roberson schrieb:

That=B4s what I want to achieve!

How would that be done?

Reply to
mathias

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.