Do i need to VPN module for VPN connectivity ?

I am looking at connecting a remote office to the main office for a static route. I will have a cisco 1721 at the branch, and a 1750 at the main office. The main office will have a T1, and the branch will have DSL. Do i need the vpn module to accomplish a vpn connection between the 2 offices, or is that just extra encription? There will be medial records involved, so security is an issue. We have a firewall on the main and on the branch side.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803
Loading thread data ...

In article , jsandlin0803 wrote: :I am looking at connecting a remote office to the main office for a :static route. I will have a cisco 1721 at the branch, and a 1750 at the :main office. The main office will have a T1, and the branch will have :DSL. Do i need the vpn module to accomplish a vpn connection between :the 2 offices, or is that just extra encription?

As best I recall, the VPN module is just a hardware acceleration, and the software encryptions are available without it, provided that you have the appropriate software image.

The sales documentation on the 1721 VPN Accelerator mentions only

3DES, which is consistant with my memory and with the 830 series' accelerator, which supports DES and 3DES only. But the complete 1700 line supports AES -- and as we know that isn't hardware accelerated, we know that the AES support must be in software, and thus that the VPN accelerator is not necessary for IPSec.

The minimum IOS [modern] feature set for IPSec is Advanced IP Services or Advanced Security. The 1700 is, though, generally available with just the IP Base feature set, so not every 1700 will have software support for IPSec.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.