DNS Resolution

I am attempting to get my Cisco 831 router to resolve domain names to an IP address (so ping and traceroute will work towards the outside world).

I've been trying to figure out how to program it with my hosting provider's IP address. So far, nothing I've tried has worked. Any suggestions (or Web pages that document how to do this)?

Regards,

Fred Atkinson

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

How far have you got with the router?

Did you assign an Ip address to the external and internal interfaces yet?

formatting link

Reply to
larkspur

Can you ping the dns server by its ip address from the routers command prompt?

Reply to
Joop van der Velden

Joop van der Velden schrieb:

Please consider that the DNS Server could block ICMP but still let the DNS Port open.

Reply to
Patrick Cervicek

Actually, not. I've got Cisco working on that under my contract now. I'd ask them, but at this point I'd just be glad to get them where I can ping and traceroute the outside world (I can ping and traceroute on my local network just fine).

I know there was a command to set IP addresses as DNS hosts. I just can't now remember what it was.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Yes, but in this case, neither ICMP nor DNS is working on the router at the moment.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

You haven't provided any information as to what you have tried so far.

Have you used 'ip name-server 1.2.3.4', where '1.2.3.4' is the IP address of the same server you wish to query?

evil_homer(config)#ip name-server 195.92.195.222 evil_homer(config)#^Z evil_homer#ping Jan 29 20:01:38: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by chris on console evil_homer#ping

formatting link
Translating "
formatting link
"...domain server (212.50.160.100) [OK]

Type escape sequence to abort. Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 66.249.93.104, timeout is 2 seconds: !!!!! Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/36/36 ms

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Well, that was the command I was looking for. However, I'm still having problems. I programmed in the correct DNS servers with it. Still can't ping to the outside world. But that doesn't matter whether I am using a domain name or an IP address. So the DNS isn't the problem there.

But thanks for resolving that part of my issue.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Fred, We need to understand a few things. What is your topology? i.e. is your router connected directly to the internet? (no firewall) You never mentioned WHERE you were trying to do the traceroutes from. - I believe everyone is assuming you are doing it from your router. (please verify)

I'm assuming: - Your router is NOT attached directly to the internet - there IS a firewall - You are trying to traceroute etc. from your router. - You have the "ip name-server 1.2.3.4" command (mentioned above) on your router. - You have "ip domain-lookup" configured on your router. - You do NOT have an ACL on your outward facing interface

Does your router resolve a hostname? i.e when you do a "ping

formatting link
" do you get: === router#ping
formatting link
Translating "
formatting link
"...domain server (1.2.3.4) [OK]

Type escape sequence to abort. Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 64.233.167.147, timeout is 2 seconds: !!!!! Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/5/8 ms router#

------OR------

router#ping

formatting link
Translating "
formatting link
" % Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

router# ===

If you DO get a resolve on the hostname and do NOT get any pings back, then the problem may be your firewall is blocking ICMP - which is necessary for traceroute to function correctly.

You might try posting some or all of your router config to help answer these questions.

J.Cottingim

Reply to
jcottingim

Folks,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The last few days have been busy.

Cisco kept playing with it and I was about to give up on them. Then, they discovered a line that was pointing requests to the internal network, not the external network. They removed that line and everything started working fine.

No, it is using the firewall in the 831, there is not an external one.

Yes, trying to do the traceroutes from the router. I can do them and pings as well now.

Thanks for helping.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.