DHCP Logging

Greetings,

I've had some weird things going on with DHCP from my cablemodem provider. I'm seeing private Class C addresses on occasion.

I've spoken to the provider. They don't believe me and refuse to open a ticket on it. They keep insisting that that 192.168 series address has to be coming from the DHCP server in my router.

My router is a Cisco 831. It provides IP addresses in the range of 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.254. It has never been configured to assign Class C addresses. Whenever I find that 192.168 series address on my Internet port, I am unable to use the Internet. Since my telephone service is VOIP, that kind of presents some problems.

I've installed Kiwi server on my PC and configured my 831 to report DHCP activity to the Kiwi server. I see activity, but it isn't logging the IP address assignments.

Does anyone have any idea how to make it include the assigned DHCP address from the provider in the reports it sends to Kiwi server? If I can show that log, I can convince them it is happening.

I supposed someone in the network neighborhood could be running a rogue DHCP server. But that's only speculation at this point.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

How exactly is the 831 configured? A typical broadband router configuration is to use DHCP client for upstream WAN settings and it's DHCP server to assign private IPs to hosts on your LAN.

Now, if for some reason the WAN side is picking up configuration from a conflicting DHCP server then you could run into something weird like what you are experiencing.

Check into your 831's logging features, you should be able to log DHCP traffic from the WAN side and determine if there is a conflict. I don't think the Kiwi setup will tell you anything useful since it will only be logging DHCP traffic on the LAN side, that is unless you've configured your

831 for DHCP relaying.
Reply to
Bolshaya Plohaya Bilka

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.