Linksys behind Sonicwall prevents DNS resolution

Hi...I've got an interesting setup and an interesting problem. I've setup a Sonicwal SOHO to VPN tunnel to our office HQ. Then I have a Linksys WRT54GS taking the WAN in. I can access IP addresses at HQ, but for some reason DNS is not resolving, I confirmed that NETBIOS is working through nbtstat.

Also I tried accessing my home network from HQ and that doesn't seem to work either. Our HQ has a DHCP and DNS server, both not running on the Sonicwall at that site...I'm curious if that could be the problem?

Anyways I would be grateful if anyone could provide some insight, and please let me know what other information would be helpful to further clarify the issue.

Thanks.

EKiN

Reply to
ebinal
Loading thread data ...

NetBIOS resolves WINS, not DNS. Those are distinct.

Did you ever try to traceroute to the DNS server?

Well, did you ever specify any important information? You just gave a vague description of the network setup, nothing more.

On the other hand, what about asking your admin? Or if you're the admin, then you should reconsider your job qualifications.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Owch Sebastian...I appreciate the advice but I'm no IT wizard and nor do I claim to - I'm just an employee trying to set up a vpn connection to work.

How bout some constructive advice? In anycase I thought my provided information made it clear that trace route works with the IP address specified, but not with the domain name.

Interestingly I figured out that just putting 'servername' is not enough, but i need the domain information 'servername.location.com'...what's the best way to resolve the appending the domain affix? I don't want to have to specify '***location.com' everytime.

Thanks.

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

Reply to
ebinal

The best way is to have your stub resolver automatically attach the domain suffix. Even Windows does that, just check your network settings configuration menu.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Then likely your DNS resolving does not work. Configure a working name server.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

automatically attach the domain

Reply to
ebinal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.