Disable PIM Assert Process

Does IOS 12.4 provide a mechanism to disable the PIM Assert Process? If so, how?

Reply to
philbo30
Loading thread data ...

An alternative to disabling the PIM assert process might be to use an ACL to block PIMv2 Type 5 messages in/out to 224.0.0.2. Any ideas on how this ACL would look if it can be done?

Reply to
philbo30

Correction: 224.0.0.13 for PIMv2. 224.0.0.2 is PIMv1

Reply to
philbo30

I would recommend against blocking that multicast address as that would handicap any PIM communication coming in that interface. I know of no way to disable just the Assert messages in IOS.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

on a related problem - anyone know how to stop IOS sending out multicasts to

224.0.1.40 for the AutoRP function?

it bhaves OK with a pure IOS environment - but causes lots of "invalid RP join" messages when it propagates to other PIM v2 / BSR type devices...

Reply to
stephen

Stephen,

I think you'll need to implement the 'ip multicast boundary filter-autorp' command. It works as a bi-directional ACL to block auto- rp traffic for the multicast groups in the ACL. Let's say you want to stop the traffic from flowing through ethernet0/0:

ACL for all multicast groups: access-list 1 permit 224.0.0.0. 15.255.255.255

interface e0/0 ip multicast boundary 1 filter-autorp

HTH, neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

OK - thanks for that - i will give it a try.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.