Differences/Similarities between a Pix unit (501) and an ASA 5505

Hello,

I'm trying to get a handle on the similarities and/or differences between a PIX (501) unit and an ASA unit (5505).

I have limited experience using and configuring the Pix 501 through two small businesses I support and was looking to expand my knowledge.

Is there a Cisco article that compares the two (PIX vs an ASA unit)? Or are we talking apples and oranges?

Regards

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers
Loading thread data ...

The 5505 is more flexible, but I believe it should be able to import a 501 configuration.

If you are using the 501 for PPTP or PPPoE then you will need to cross-check that the 5505 software version you are using is new enough to support those.

The 5505 doesn't have the anti-X features, if I recall correctly, and it doesn't have multiple contexts, so it is the most PIX 501-like of the 55xx range. For the most part you can use the PIX 7.x software manuals for the 5505.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter,

As usual, you come bearing the fruits of wisdom.......Thank You.

You've given enough input to get me started. My next step is to purchase a 5505 and find out on my own. I'll need to get a handle on the 7.x software as my 501's are using 6.3(5).....never did understand why the 501's couldn't use 7.x software??

I'm sure more serious questions will be forthcoming and I look forward to the newsgroup's input.

Regards,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers

Memory limitations. The 501 just doesn't have enough memory. There are people who have put 7.0 onto a 506 or 506E (not officially supported), and people who have put 7.x onto 515/515E that do not have the official minimum memory, but the 501 has so little memory that there is no realistic chance of getting it working.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.