delay of reply on ping and high cou usage

hi all I have cisco 2514 router ,some times when i ping to it (from internal lan) it resbond it 500 to 1200 ms and give a lot of packet loss, and this goes for about two houres and then finished and the router gets back to its normal work (ping replyes with 10-20 ms at most) while these 2 houres the cpu utilization varies from 85% to 90% . i think there is a machine inside that is the reason for thatwhen send a lot of traffic . how can i detect the ip of this machine. and how to be sure it not from outside, and if it was from outside, how to detect its IP and prevent it from attcking my network. i hope i can find an answer because i;m in a big trouble. thank you all.

Reply to
enghmh
Loading thread data ...

you could see if one of the routers or switches will behave as NTP master in a backup role.

Determine the NTP of the pc and then configure the stratunm on the router to be 1 less

ntp server ! assuming stratumn of 4 on PC ntp master 6 ! this oruter will become NTP master if there is no connectivity to PC

Reply to
Merv

OOPS posted response to wrong message

Reply to
Merv

Hi, If you think that is form outside you can shut the out interface when you have these problems. If the cpu drops than it's something from outside. You can also see the flows with "show ip ca fl" - I hope that you have turned on ip cef (by default it's turned on, if I remember right). The first thing to do is to run "sh proc cpu" and identify the process whic is increasing the usage of the cpu. Then you can take investigate as mentioned above.

Best regards, Bogdan T.

enghmh wrote:

Reply to
bogdan.tomoiu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.