fails on first ping and works for the rest

I just replaced my router at home , using cable modem, with a Cisco

871. FA 4 has DHCP client setting. FA0-FA3 connect to my home network, BVI2 is for my notebook 's wireless connection. All work as expected except I found a short delay before I go to any web sites.

When I ping an ip address , all are replied. When I ping a host name, the first ping fails but all the rest are sucesfull. I thjink this explains why I have a short pause when accesing to web site.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

Do you have ip inspect commands configured.

There was a posting yesterday from someone having an issue with ip inspect http on an 800 series router.

To troubleshhot, do the following

conf t logging buffer 10000 debug no logging console exit wri mem

clear log debug icmp debug arp

ping ! one for which the first ping fails

show log

Post results of the above testing along with the current config

Reply to
Merv

I am never surprised when the first ping fails and I ignore it.

Long experience tells me that this is not unusual.

Clearly it would be good to understand what is going on and I believe that I do.

that if an IP packet arrives at an interface to be sent and there is no relevant ARP entry then the packet should be dropped. In the meantime, the ARP process continues and when (if?) a subsequent packet arrives it will duly be sent.

Your case seems to be different.

First ping is OK when host is pinged and not when hostname is used.

I have no further explanation.

I have spent a few minutes looking for the ARP/drop behaviour but I can't find it.

I did find;

formatting link
TCP over ICMP? I thought it quite entertaining.

Reply to
anybody43

I am sorry for my late reply. I tried it late last night, and here is what I found :

For every failed ping, the log shows ( sorry I am at work now and has no the exact error string ) two lines :

1. IP sent from external interface IP (WAN ) to the destination IP, and then
  2. len=60, encapsulation failed.

I would like to add a comment here : when I ping, I ping from systems on the internal network. I see the NAT shows the translation as expected.

( Turning on debugging on ARP shows a lot of ARP packets from WAN interface ( this is cable modem ) so I have to run it off )

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

The encapsulation failures means the router does not have an ARP entry for the destination IP address.

How to you get the IP address for the outside interface - via DHCP ?

How is the default route configured ?

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv,

I get the public IP address by DHCP for FA 4 as follows :

- ip dhcp client update dns

- ip address dhcp

I cleared all the ip inspect and ip address group and still experiece the same problem.

The default route is set by ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa 4

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Change the default route to point to either IP next hop or dhcp if supported.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

! or better if supported

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for hints. I am going to try them tonight and post back the result.

Reply to
dt1649651

BTW the reason to do this is that your router will ARP once for the next hop address instead of having to ARP for every Internet destination you access.

Reply to
Merv

It works !!! I tried the " ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp" and it solved the problem. I do not try the first one because the ip route dhcp shows the same default route of the hardcode version.

I 've never used the ip route with dhcp before. I am glad to learn something new that solves my problem :)

Thanks a lot, Merv.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.