data/control plane

Hello,

I often encounter on terms 'data plane', 'control plane' in Cisco literature or any other materials. But I failed to find clear explanation. Could someone give me links on the technical literature or explain those here?

Thanks.

Reply to
Roman Mashak
Loading thread data ...

Roman,

You have individual components within the switch (line cards, supervisor modules, individual components, etc.). They communicate to each other through a "backplane" (or dataplane, controlplane). These "communication channels" have certain capacity (for example, 300 GBit/Second). It defines how much data can go internally between components.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapter.com

Data plane: determines data packet behavior Packet forwarding Packet differentiation (e.g., ACLs) Buffering, link scheduling

Control plane: controls the state of network elements Route selection RSVP, capability signaling, etc.

-Dan

formatting link

Reply to
dman1973

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.